How do you handle it when your hubby is in a bad mood?

It's been one of those evening. My husband has been a grump since he got home from work (I'm just grateful we went to his parents house for the evening- I would have been horrified to have him act like this in front of my family!). The best I've come up with in the 10 years we've known each other is to just avoid him until he's past it.

I'm curious about how other women handle their husband's/fiance's/boyfriend's bad moods- and what successful ways you have cut the grump short and gotten your man back?

IrishMommaC

Asked by IrishMommaC at 10:45 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Relationships

• i let it ride...i don't walk on eggshells around him, or try to soothe him out of it. he's a big boy...now if his mood is because of something i did or said, i'd have to apologize. but men get 'periods',too. lol
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:49 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• My husband says that talking makes it worse. I think you're on the right track. Give him his space and wait for it to pass. Talking makes men even more grumpy.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:49 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• its stress. we naturally think its us, but its them. lovingly remind him that whatever is eating at him, you have nothing to do with(unless you know you did), and remind him you're there for him when he's ready to talk. try thoughtful things like: awarm bath, beer in a frosted mug, a poem or love letter, a massage(even scalp, and feet), flowers(we like em and they do too, just too egotistical to admit it!!!), anything that shows you care and have concern makes a world of difference to them! instead of doing your norm, go back to when you first started dating and think about the things you did that brought a smile to his face. but sometimes they just need a loving hug; the knd mommy would give when he's upset. mellow music, soft atmosphere, the way we would do when we need that calgon moment!!! try candle lit dinner(if possible). JUST DON'T BE PUSHY! give him space and time if non of those ideas work. he'll come around!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 10:58 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• 10 years, really? I'm ready to divorce his ass after nearly two years of this shit. How dare he. What a whiny little brat when I have to work just as he does, my job pays more oh boo hoo so I get to pay bills, I bought him a car and had medical for our boy and girl and yet I get to change diapers because boo hoo he's so tired from work boo hoo. I think it's a gift from Gd that he is still alive and ready to have sex when he's had enough rest.
    Anonymous

• Sometimes when my husband is in a bad mood, I try to let him decompress. He usually recognizes it and goes in another room anyway. If he's being unnecessarily grumpy to the kids, I just tell him that's enough and get the kids away from him. Sometimes, he's just hungry and he's a bear until he's eaten supper. Everybody gets in a bad mood sometimes.
    MaeI

Answer by MaeI at 11:06 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• My guy isn't in a bad mood often, but when he is, I can usually jolly him out of it. If not, then talking does the trick. And if THAT doesn't work... well... *wink wink* I am not above making him feeeeeel better, if ya know what I mean! lol
    Guinhyvar

Answer by Guinhyvar at 11:07 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I kick his ass.
    boogernoodle

Answer by boogernoodle at 11:16 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Tell him your spending the night at your family without the kids. He'll be in charge with the kids. See how fast he snap out of his moodiness. LOLBig Grin

Anonymous

• My hubby is hardly in a bad mood, but when he is it's really bad. But to get him over it I just give him oral. It puts him into a better mood everytime :)
    LnAsMom16

Answer by LnAsMom16 at 11:33 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• It is not very often that my hubs is in a bad mood. When he is I usually ignore him, walk away and do my own thing. Then when he is in a better mood I tell him he 'owes' me for me having to put up with him. (it is a running joke between us).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:35 PM on Oct. 31, 2009