Do you think its possible to move to Denver from Virginia...

With only $2000? Has anyone ever just picked up and moved at short notice? I mean, the whole family, with no real plan for when you got to your destination? I wanna know if it can be done.

Joylynn77

Asked by Joylynn77 at 12:48 AM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Travel

• Honestly, I don't think that's enough for me (a family of 4) but maybe you could work it out. For us, we'd need a budget truck/ u-haul truck, which is about $2,000- Then, it costs to get new groceries, toilet paper, turn on the electric, get the trash company signed up, turn on the gas...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 1:38 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I agree if you have family down here then its a possible move if you family is not big because my brother did it and he was station in Virginia! And now he is here! He spent almost a thousand by himself.. Try to budget.. Het made sandwiches and bought water and a cheap cooler to save for his trip! The military brought his furniture. Can you give more info? How many kids? Are you takin a uhaul how big how much! Are you staying with family?
    christinkie

Answer by christinkie at 1:56 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Well, my family is just me, my DH and my 13 month old boy. We may have some friends that will take us in until we get settled. Right now we live in a 2 bdrm trailer house, in a decent park, but Denver is where I'd like my son to go to school, when he's older. Neither of us are working right now, but I am getting some money from my TSP account, and was thinking of using it to pay some bills and move. I want to have my stuff delivered, because I can't imagine driving cross country, with my baby! I plan to sell everything I can to lighten the load.
    Joylynn77

Answer by Joylynn77 at 1:25 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• First you need to find a job . You can go first or your husband can go first . Stay in motel and find a job FIRST. It is irresponsible just move without work,place to live and other things.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:14 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I would definitely try to get a job first, as well as research where in the Denver area you'd like to live. The schools in the Denver public schools are not great, Douglas County and Cherry Creek schools are much better. (I live in SE Denver within the Cherry Creek district and our school still sucks, so when if my kids opt out of private for high school we'll open enroll.) The cost of living can be high as well, but nothing compared to the DC area or New York.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:14 AM on Nov. 3, 2009