Affordable breakfast ideas for a toddler?

My 16-months old son is a huge breakfast eater. Any other time of the day, he will only pick and graze. However, we are struggling to put food on the table so we eat a lot of eggs. If anyone can share good meal ideas that involve eggs or another affordable and easy dishes that I can serve at breakfast (or any other time of the day) I'd appreciate it. He is extremely picky... I like dishes that conceals vegetables and other healthy goodies so he gets some if he refuses to eat his sides. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Food & Drink

• My son loves peanut butter toast for breakfast. A couple slices of whole grain toast with a thin layer of peanut butter has lots of protein. I like to serve it up with a side of banana =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 1:05 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Eggs are so great. I want to suggest oats as well- I like the quick oatmeal but the regular is a bit less expensive and pretty easy to fix. My daughter likes oats with butter (she wants to SEE the little square of butter! lol) and my son will eat oats with peanutbutter and honey (yuk). I like mine with sugar but I try to put it in when the kids are...ahem...looking the other way.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 1:19 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I also make my son oatmeal for breakfast. I put raisins to sweeten it up. Also I make my own applesauce and put that in with cinnamon.

Another idea is scramble eggs, cheese and a splash of milk.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:43 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• In Korea we make eggs and side of rice or mixed in after scrambled...she would make egg omelet with just cheese and ham or bologna....deviled eggs ( take the yellow of the egg and mix a lil bit of mayo and stir. Then put it back in the white part
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Think about making mini quiche. Eggs, milk/ cream and you bake them in cup cake pan. You can sneak in meat, cheese, veggies.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:53 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• We eat quiche.To make it healthier I don't use a crust and I use cottage cheese,eggs and milk from the frig,2% for us(not canned milk).We love bacon in quiche but hehe I only use 2 slices and saute my onion at the same time . Cook the bacon very crisp and crumble into small pieces.I serve this with homemade split pea soup and it will serve 6 easily with enough soup left for another meal.I fix quiche in the fall and winter for breakfast also.Strata made with bread ends is cheap, yummy and easy.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 1:54 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Oh yes I forgot to add banana nut bread!!
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 1:58 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Look in the bulk section of the grocery store for oats, flour, and pancake mix, you'd be suprised at how cheap it is. You can make your own muffins from scratch really easy adding in any fruit you'd like. Breakfast burritos are always yummy too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• My son is a breakfast eater to. We do Pancakes alot < off brand boxes are like a $1 a box. He LOVES oatmeal, so thats another good one. I buy the boxes with the dionar eggs in them. Yogurt. Pop tarts. We don't do cereal alot, he doesn't care for it. Waffles.
    Mommy2LPK

Answer by Mommy2LPK at 3:02 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I love breakfast foods and will make pancakes or waffles for dinner a couple times a month. If I make too many, I'll wrap them up and put them in the fridge or freezer for breakfast for my 20 month old. She loves them. Super cheap too if you get the just-add-water mixes.
    bretsnag

Answer by bretsnag at 3:15 AM on Nov. 1, 2009