Should I be pissed?

Every time my ten month old pulls my husbands hair or scratches him, he smacks her hand real hard. I have constantly told him I do not like this at all. But HE CONSTANTLY DOES IT. I know she needs to learn not to pull hair, but wont a simple NO! Thats bad it hurts mommy/daddy suffice? No matter how many times I tell him I do not like hitting, he does it anyways. Should I be pissed about this? What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, I would be pissed, but I'm not sure how you should handle it. Sometimes mine does things I don't like and usually once I point out how bad it is, he says sorry and that's it.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:12 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Parents have to respect each other's methods, and work together as a team, keeping punishments consistant, prompt and appropriate.

That said, if one parent feels very strongly that X punishment is wrong, the other parent should respect that. For example, I feel VERY strongly about not letting babies cry it out. My husband doesn't see a problem with it. But because I feel so strongly about it, he never let my daughter cry, even when she was driving him up the wall (she was super colicky).

Talk to him about it. Tell him why you don't like it and tell him how much you hate it and that you worry about what it will teach her. Offer up alternatives and compromise on something you both feel comfortable with. I'm sure once he knows how strongly you feel about it and that you have a reason for feeling that way he will stop.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:36 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Just saying "no, that hurts mommy or daddy" will not suffice. There needs to be some kind of discipline....a tap on the hand, modified time out, or putting her down each time she does it. Just saying no won't do it...it needs to be in conjunction with some sort of discipline.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• i'd say to help him not to do that everytime you see him smack her hand you take his hand and smack it even harder tell him to grow up theres no reason to be SMACKING a 10mo hand, tap maybe but smacking no especially over something as simple as hair pulling
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• At that age, I personally do not feel this is appropriate. I'd smack his hand every time he did something I didn't like. See how he likes it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:20 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• "Every time my ten month old"

He's not her dad? because you said MY ten month old.
    He should have a say in how things are.

I think its fine that he smacks her hand. How else is she gonna learn not to do stuff.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 12:23 PM on Nov. 1, 2009