Ok Why does my 5 year old not make it into the potty?

I do not go to the restroom with my son every time, as he can go on his own. But lately he has gotten very lazy and I have noticed
1. He wipes his wet clean hands on the seat of his pants instead of using the towel- should this bug me? it does...
2. the bathroom stinks! so pee is getting somewhere it shouldn't...

I am so worried because he is 5 and I won't be able to help him get this straight much longer- he is growing up and needs his privacy. Do any other moms of boys have tips to help me teach him like how to pay attention ??

TXdanielly

Asked by TXdanielly at 1:17 AM on Nov. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Re-teach him to aim

Emphasize the use of a towel (my 6yo knows he can only wipe his hands on his pants when we're in a public bathroom that doesn't have towels - he hates the sound of the hand dryers)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• sounds like a normal 5 year old
    As for aiming, I told my son if he does not pp in the toilet then he was going to clean is pp off up.
    As fo rthe hands, sounds normal.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:22 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• My 5 year old can't pay attention the whole time he is peeing. he aims then his mind wanders and it hit s the floor. uhg! Anyway we now keep Clorox wipe in the bathroom and he has to clean it up. He helps me mom in there every other Saturday to. Making him responsible (not punishing) has helped some. I also tried telling him that if he couldn't get it in the potty he would have to sit to pee but that had no effect on him.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:48 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Sounds normal, and by 5 he should be able to clean the bathroom, so he will stop making a mess.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 1:28 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• My son has Down's and is just really starting to use the bathroom by himself but we got him a Peter Potty Urinal. It says it's for little kids but he wants to use the bathroom standing and can't figure out how to aim and is just able to reach the toilet seat so this is helping him. He can't balance good enough to stand on a stool.
    jessicazeksmom

Answer by jessicazeksmom at 2:26 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I am so glad this is common and I'm not the only one dealing with this. If I catch it, I will definately have him clean the mess, but I guess I have not always been with him, and need to start watching him more.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 6:45 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Oh, Mom!! I have a 13 year old and he still can't make it into the toilet. He learned how to clean the toilet at 4. Give him a Clorox type wipe and have him wipe down the toilet seat, the floor around the toilet or wherever he pees. It is a boy thing, I tried everything I could think of and nothing worked. He just has horrible aim and he is in too much of a hurry to get back to whatever activity he is involved in.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• TXdan...
    I am so glad this is common and I'm not the only one dealing with this. If I catch it, I will definately have him clean the mess, but I guess I have not always been with him, and need to start watching him more.

No, have him clean the bathroom once a week, not just when you catch him. Hand him a few clorox wipes and explain that when he doesn't pee in the toilet, the bathroom smells and needs to be cleaned up.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 8:26 PM on Nov. 1, 2009