Has the state of the economy affected halloween celebrations where you live?

Here there were hundreds more people out than usual and almost no one handing out candy. Even on streets that usually do a block theme half the houses were dark and parking was impossible to find on residential streets. It was like closing time at disneyland. people just wandering in the dark. Most houses giving out candy had lines of kids to the street. I felt bad for the people. We don't usually stay out long anyway, but we gave up really early tonight. No one was happy. Kids were crying, parents were complaining, people handing out candy were frazzled. It was just sad

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• There were a lot of dark houses on our street. And the merchants' association in Old Town chose not to do any trick or treat activities this year.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:00 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• This is my 1st year here (Salisbury MD) and there were very few lights or kids out (we went to a church thing) but it didn't surprise me. This is a very high crime neighborhood (just had a murder) so I bet if any of these kids DID dress up and some prolly didn't, they did so elsewhere.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 1:57 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Omgosh I think there were MORE people handing out candy this year. It was alot of fun.
    summerm

Answer by summerm at 1:40 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Our neighborhood was pretty much the same. Everyone here gets REALLY into Halloween. There are a few empty, bank owned homes on the other side of the neighborhood, so that part was quiet. The rest was the same, with everyone dressing up and handing out the good stuff. :)
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:22 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• There weren't very many people handing out candy or very many trick or treaters either. We walked about 3 miles total and my kids were able to fill their pumpkin buckets but usually we do that in just a couple blocks. We even went to a nicer neighborhood and it was the same, so yeah i think our city has been hit pretty hard this year from the economy.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 1:14 PM on Nov. 1, 2009