Does anyone have this problem?

My 2 and a half month old barely takes any naps during the day, she will sleep like for 15 min every like 4 hrs and then when the night comes its always soooooooo hard to put her down for the night. She is so tired but just wont sleep, she just squirms and fusses. Me and dh have tried EVERYTHING. Anyone have the same problem?

BellaBean23

Asked by BellaBean23 at 1:19 AM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried feeding her and then putting her down about 2 hours after she gets up in the morning? That is about how soon my kids would all go down for a nap. You may be waiting too long to give her naps and she is overtired for those too! At first they just fall asleep on their own, anywhere, anytime! :-) But eventually all of mine have had to be put down in a quiet room. If I waited too long, they would just fuss and scream - overtired. I would start putting her down for a nap about 2 hours after waking up. See how that goes. She may just need to get on something of a schedule. Good luck!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:05 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I definitely agree with Micheledo (above). I did the same thing and waited til my baby was way overtired and then couldn't settle in for a real nap. Once I finally figured out a schedule of sorts it was much easier for him nap. I'm not a big fan of "scheduling" per se for babies, it's more of a learning to read the drowsy cues early and taking advantage LOL
    Indymommy5

Answer by Indymommy5 at 9:13 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I had this issue and I think it was a combination of overtired baby and immature CNS..

It got so much better when he turned 4 months old, and much better once I got good at knowing his sleepy cues. After 4 mts he usually napped twice in the day - once about 2 hours after waking and once about 3 hours after he woke up from the first nap - they started out really long naps and over time his naps have gotten shorter (8 mo old now). Before that he'd sleep here and there for 10 minutes like your baby and it was driving me up the wall. But once he took to a schedule of sorts that went more by certain activities we did in certain orders and his sleepy cues vs. the actual time it was, it was like night and day and he napped great.

And, don't obsess like "she need to nap NOW!", NB's have sleep-wake cycles that are 3 hrs, so once overtired you'll probably have to wait a bit for the next cyclic sleepy time in her rhythm.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 11:06 AM on Nov. 1, 2009