Can i get baby to breastfeed at 3 months??

When my son was born he had to go to nicu, and got accustomed to bottle before my milk came in. I now think i could get him to do it. My breastmilk dried up but if i squeeze nipples i can still get some liquid. Is it possible if i can get him to nurse my milk will come back??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if theres still a lil milk u could use a pump to make ur brest produce more bc when u pump or bby breastfeed the body will produce more but it isnt a gaurantee bby will latch with as little milk as u have now id try pumping to get milk production up first then try breastfeeding if that dnt work pump and give it to him in a bottle good luck :)
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 1:27 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• YES! See a lactation consultant or a La Leche League leader and ask about relactation. They will be able to help you get your baby to latch on to your breast and nurse successfully! Youc an do it! It does take some hard work and dedication, but it's definately worth it. He might even latch right now without a problem :) Give it a shot and call for some back up :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:27 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• yes it is possble. I like what PP said and call a lactation counselor. You can starrt by drinking Mothers Milk Tea by traditional medicinals and put baby to breast.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 8:32 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Absolutely. It will likely take some hard work and determination, but it is entirely possible. I suggest that you seek out your local La Leche League for support, and also get a good pump. Start pumping every 2-3 hrs around the clock, and if baby will latch on, let him latch and suckle as much as possible. You might consider using an SNS, (supplemental nursing system) which is a device to deliver formula AT the breast. Mothers Milk Tea is good, I hear, but I hear better things about More Milk Plus. Feel free to msg me or ask here any questions you might have. I would LOVE to help you.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:19 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• sure!! try to get bbayto latch on tothe breast, if you cantmaybe try a nipple shield. also google supplement nursing system. uptake your liquidintake,pump pum,pump pump, ever 2 hrs for 15 mts, drink mothers milk tea. if you cant find it then get fernugreek orblessed thisle or both. contactLLL and get ahold of a lacation consultant
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:19 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Yes! If your baby will latch on then nurse, nurse, nurse. That will bring a supply faster than a pump. Drink lots of water.
    Anonymous

• You don't need a pump, you need a baby. And yes, you can re-lactate at this point. Easily, if he'll go along with it.

Hold him on your bare chest for a couple of days (helps to have someone at home who can bring you food for this) --semi-reclined in bed, or on a Lazyboy kind of chair. Keep the temperature up enough for you to be warm, or cover both of you with a blanket. Latch him on as much as he's willing to, as often as possible (like 15 times an hour during the day). Make sure he doesn't get too hungry (it's impossible to learn something new when you're in physical pain and under stress), and make sure you really understand that it's going to take a serious commitment to doing whatever it takes to eliminate artificial feeding.

Your milk supply should (if he's willing to latch on even one time in 6) be huge within 3 days. Then it's just a matter of keeping him there, and teaching him that he'll get enough there.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:12 PM on Nov. 1, 2009