Whats going on?

I am trying to figure out what is going on to make my son so scared, he is only 19 months but he always is scared when his father comes to pick him up. He has no problem with strangers he likes to play with people he just meets but for him to act his way with somone he sees every other weekend is strange. He normally has no problem with people if he dosent see them for a long period of time people he sees less than his father, but he is really really scared and cries his heart out as soon as he sees him at the door and tries to get away when he caarries him. I am worried, what is going on with my baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does he have bruises? Injuries? Signs of abuse? If not, then keep a close eye on it, but my daughter is the same way. She loves new people, and gets so happy when she sees my mom (who we see rarely, being in another state) and will hug and kiss perfect strangers. But she runs from her dad and only wants mommy. And I know for a 100% certain fact that he does not abuse her in any way shape or form. He probably doesn't like daddy very much because he's bonded to you and he just knows that daddy is the guy who takes him away from mommy, you know?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:31 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• It could simply be a "personality" conflict. I don't know what else to call it. My son reacted this way with one certain nursery worker at our church. He literally crawled over my shoulder and tried to climb down my back at less than a year old, to get away from her. IMO she didn't have a lot of patience with him because she was always comparing him to a little boy she loved dearly. I think my son picked up on it. So, if dad is not abusing your son, maybe he is annoyed with him or sees him as a bother at times and your son has picked up on that. I don't know how to help him work through that. We just kept our son away from this lady until he got older - but you probably can't do that. (He eventually liked her). Good luck!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:01 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• mabe its the hwole leaving mommy thing,,when he sees his dad he knows he is going to leave mommy..
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 6:23 AM on Nov. 1, 2009