Do you have to have your period to ovulate?

I was just wondering if you have to have periods in order to ovulate. My husband and I are ttc and I haven't had a period since August 28th. My doctor put me on provera and I finished taking it about a week or so ago. I've had labs done and I am not pregnant yet. Any advice or anything would be helpful. Thanks!

Bamzakarat

Asked by Bamzakarat at 3:08 AM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I don't know about in this situation, but I do know that I got pg with my dd after my ds was born, and I hadn't had my period.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:24 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• No, you don't have to have a period in order to ovulate. Sometimes i went months without having a period. I did not even know i was preg. with my first son until i was about 12weeks because i did not have regular periods.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:42 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• The same thing happened to me. I had my son a year and a half ago, was on bc for a year. Stopped taking bc so we could TTC and didn't get a period for 3 months! I went to the doctor and she thought I wasn't ovulating so she put me on Provera to induce af. Provera does NOT help you ovulate. It just brings on your period. I am also taking Clomid now to help me ovulate. This is my first month....hope it works. Oh, and I've ALWAYS had normal periods until recently when I went off bc. So in my case, I wasn't getting a period because I wasn't ovulating. Which means, I couldve ovulated at any time, but after you ovulate you get a period about 2 weeks later.
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 11:11 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• No. Most women will ovulate prior to their first period, after pregnancy and after hormonal birth control.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:02 PM on Nov. 1, 2009