How long should a 6-week-old go without nursing?

Ok, this is confusing, because I just realized it's daylight savings time..... So it's 3 in the morning but my clock reads 4. My baby has been sleeping deeply and peacefully for over five hours, and it's making me a nervous wreck! He usually never sleeps more than 4 at a time at night, but he's in our bed tonight and I think he's loving it. I don't know whether to wake him to feed him, or let him sleep!
P.S. He was four weeks early, by the way, so by gestational age he's only 2 weeks old.

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 6:10 AM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let him sleep!! They will wake up when hungry. My 3rd slept through the night from about 3-5 weeks!! Enjoy!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:16 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• My babys doctors always told me that if the baby was hungry it would let me know. Some babies start out sleeping most of the night. You could call and ask his doctor if it worries you but i wouldnt worry about him. If he gets hungry and needs something im sure he will let you know.
    tiffany0317

Answer by tiffany0317 at 7:02 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• My DD used to do that. She was born at 37 weeks, but no complications at all. From the get go she would easily sleep 3-4 hours at a time and I would have to wake her because my breasts were getting painfully full.

Breastfeeding newborns do need to eat more frequently, but I also think he will tell you when he is hungry. Just be ready for a long feeding when he does wake up!
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 7:34 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• My babys doctors always told me that if the baby was hungry it would let me know.
    that is it...if the baby is sleeping you are good...he will wake up and let you know when he is hungry
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 7:53 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I don't think it is anything to worry about as long as he is sleeping normally. If he stirs in his sleep, he is probably fine and just needs a bit more rest. Babies sleeping and eating needs change and fluctuate.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 7:56 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• He'll let you know when he's hungry. One thing I learned was never to wake a sleeping baby, lol. On average they can't go more than 5 hours without waking up hungry but he may be going through a growth spurt and be sleeping deeper than normal right now. He will probably wake up ravenous. When they start sleeping longer stretches at night they usually nurse more during the day, FYI.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 8:28 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I nursed on demand and it really worked for us. I never woke him up and a couple of times I woke up thinking it was "time" and he was still sleeping. He might not have been ready but my boobs were ready lol. Nursing on demand basically allows you to feed him on his schedule. When he wakeds he will be hungry-I owuld let him sleep.

Congrats!
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 8:28 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Having a 3-4 hour window between feedings is okay at 6 wks. The worst part is you may be really "full" when baby decides to nurse, so be ready for some leaking on the side not being nursed on LOL

I worried about the same kind of thing when I was a new mommy and our pediatrician told me as long as baby was gaining weight and having bm's and wet diapers not to worry.

Hope this helps! Send a friend request if you want to - I nursed all 5 of my kiddos for at least 12 months each :)
    Indymommy5

Answer by Indymommy5 at 8:58 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Never wake a sleeping baby....UNLESS their diapers are suffering. 6-8 wet/dirty dips are all you need. Feed baby on demand. Consider yourself lucky, my babies NEVER slept long stretches like that.
    chairhead28

Answer by chairhead28 at 9:31 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• My new baby did that, my first never ever did that :) It was hard to not freak out. I agree as long as he is having 6-8 wet diapers then I wouldn't worry, but if he is having less, I would wake him up every 3 hours or so to eat. But that is me personally. Both my kids nurse every 2 hours almost like clock work.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 10:03 AM on Nov. 1, 2009