I don't really get the point behind a church's fall festival?

Yeah, Halloween is derived from pagan roots, but a fall festival is on the same night as Halloween, they allow and encourage costumes, and give out candy. What's the difference? It's done on a church's yard? I just don't get it. This is the first year we attended our church's and was like what's the point? Some of the helpers were dressed up like hooker witches, too. One was a bar wench, there were kids in witch and devil costumes, I mean seriously? What's the difference? I'm not trying to be rude or mean, so if you all could refrain from being rude or mean to me, that would be awesome. I just want to know what others think.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 AM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I really thought the biggest reason they came into existance was a safety issue. To provide children and families with a safe environment to have fun. I don't agree with the racy or scary costumes, but like PP said, if you open the doors to the public it is a little hard to enforce a dresscode. If the church's driving force is to witness, then it's a great way to accomplish that purpose. It's also nice for families that don't live in neighborhoods to attend.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 7:59 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I went to the one at my church last night. It was the first time I had been and I just wanted to see for myself what went on. My church does not allow scary or racy costumes.  The children were dressed as cartoon characters, clowns, etc.  The idea behind ours is to provide a place for little children to go on Halloween so that they don't feel they are being deprived of the fun and it is also used as a Christian witness to the community.  There are different stations set up around our fellowship hall that the children can visit, and we provide hot dogs and chili and desserts for them, too.  Ours is a very conservative congregation.  Perhaps yours is more liberal.

NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:55 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I once attended a church that was going to hold a fall festival, they had a few ground rules as far as costumes though. None of the 'traditional' type costumes...no witches, devils, vampires, goblins....stuff like that.
    My kids weren't interested in that, mainly cuz my son's favorite thing to go as every year was the grim reaper.
    I agree though, I think it's fairly pointless of them to hold one.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 7:02 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Even if they were not Halloween related at all and were just festivals of hay and pumpkins, etc it would not make since from a theocratic point of view, because to celebrate the seasons is pagan. But then again, Easter is a big pagan celebration of fertility (eggs, bunnies, etc) and church's don't have a problem with that. The truth is, the Christian church historically adopts and adapts the customs and celebrations of the local people in order to appeal to more people (you get to keep your celebrations just call it this). That's just what they are doing in this situation on a different scale. Personally, I don't see a problem with Halloween reinforcing the beliefs of the occult. I really don't think it does. More, I think it represents the desire of candy companies and decoration/costume stores to get paid, I could see an objection based on that.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 7:25 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• It is usually held as a way to reach members of the community. We went to one last night and there was ads every where for their preschool and MMO. Also it is usually supposed to be a very G rated Halloween experience. They can be really fun. The best one we have attended was one at night in a parking lot and a ton of cars were backed up and there trunks were filled with candy and you went from car to car and trick or treated and there was free concessions and movies playing. And a ton of games for the kids. It's just a way to show members of the community that this is their church and several members of the church volunteer for the games and activities and that they are a good place. Now I will agree with you a bar wench and things like that...kind of out of place.
    presleyfan1

Answer by presleyfan1 at 7:29 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• typically, just like any community organization that holds a 'fall festival', its used as a safe alternative to trick or treating. (not that i think T or Ting is unsafe, i'm just saying..) i can't explain why sponsors/helpers were dressed inappropriately..like a pp said, maybe your church is more liberal than others?..as far as attendees, you can't necessarily open the doors to the public and then put out a dress code for this sort of thing.
    what 's the issue with fall festivals anyway? pagan or not, churchs celebrate holidays/annual events all the time. (july 4th, back-to-school, memorial day, mom/dad's day, etc.) i don't see any problem with any of it..JMO.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:49 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I know what you mean.
    My kid's school has a Fall Festival, and it's public.
    I think kids like the scariness of Halloween, kinda silly to dumb the holiday down like that, IMO,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• as someone who wasnt allowed to go trick or treating cause it was evil according to the church...ive never understood fall festivals. imo its hypocrisy at its finest (if the church preaches that Halloween is evil).

now for the churches that dont preach Halloween's evils, i just see their fall festivals as giving parents a safe place to enjoy the holiday.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:45 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• LOL... well I guess maybe to have a safe invironment??????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• because to celebrate the seasons is pagan.

Why do you think that?  Did only pagans notice the change in seasons?  Celebrating the seasons is a human thing - not something restricted to a specific religious belief.  Pre-Christian and post-Christian people celebrated the season because they were in an importat part of their lives.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:49 AM on Nov. 1, 2009