My son will be three in January..

..and he has absolutely no interest in potty training. None, whatsoever. In fact if we even mention it he gets very upset and says "I don't know how". There was a time a few months ago where he would go in by himself and go potty. We didn't even talk about it he would just go. Now that we have mentioned it to him (because he recently had some trouble with his urethra and the doctor said the best thing for him is to get out of diapers) he flat out refuses to even try. I know every kid is different, my daughter was potty trained at 2 1/2 ...I just don't want to make him uncomfortable by tying but he actually needs to get out of his diapers. Do any of you have any suggestions?

*We also just switched to pull-ups, the doctors suggestion because of the problem he is having with his urethra and groin area. I did not want to switch to pull ups so early in the training but we have to.

Help!

presleyfan1

Asked by presleyfan1 at 7:20 AM on Nov. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• Oridinarily I would say don't push him. My son is 2 1/2 and has no interest either. He's just not ready yet. Some kids are 1 and some kids are closer to 4 when they get potty trained.

I don't know what the answer is since he needs to get out of diapers.... The more you push him, the more likely he is to push back.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 7:30 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I know, it's really bothering us. We had no intention of trying to potty train right now, we thought in a few months after he turns three we could give it a whirl because the preschool he's attending next year they have to be potty trained by the fall to attend. I don't know what to do. I wonder if I should try rewards or something like that? I'm at a loss.
    presleyfan1

Answer by presleyfan1 at 7:33 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• LOTS of Bribery!! I let me 21 month old have a candy if he uses the toilet!! We let him pick out a special potty at target and whenever we use the restroom we take him with us and we put him on his potty and tell him lets go potty together! LOL weird but works! U can also put cherrios in the toilet and tell him ready aim FIRE!! My son gets a kick outa that as well!

ALDmama

Answer by ALDmama at 7:59 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• You don't let him decide whether or not he's going to take a prescribed medicine do you? If this is effecting his health- its time to make it happen. The whole idea of letting kids decide when they're going to potty train is honestly a new fangled american phenomenon. Most countries around the world start "potty" training (elimination training is a more accurate term) their children at birth.
    Whats worked easiest with both of my children is flat out taking their diapers away (during the day- night is a whole different game). Pick a time when you're going to be home for a few days and let him run around bare bottomed--- stock up on paper towel and floor/carpet cleaner, because its likely to be a messy few days. Give him a candy every time he does what he should with his excriment. Then, after he's got the hang of that, put him in underwear. Once thats mastered- pants.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 8:31 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• My oldest was confussed by pull-ups, they felt too much like diapers to her. We bought tons of cloth training pants and a bunch of extra pants (thank God wal-mart is cheap) and that helped her "get it" she felt wet and didn't like it. She was 3 1/2 but she got it.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:57 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• put him in big boy undies during the day. Try to get a real neat charater that he really likes on the undies. Something that he might not want tpo get wet. And you could also tell him that everytime he goes in the potty that you will give him a sticker. and get him a sticker of some super hero he really likes. But most of all have patience with him. Give him time to figure it all out.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 3:31 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Use cloth training pants. Do away with diapers and pull ups. Pull ups are not like diapers and infections can be common with those. My son used cloth pants and he was fairly well trained about eight months into the year. We started when he turned two. By the time he was three, he was completely trained. It's a long and often frustrating process but very worth it to just get it done. Good luck.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 7:31 PM on Nov. 1, 2009