My three month old appears to be having nightmares. What do I do?

Since shortly after she was born, my daughter wakes up screaming. After i touch her and tell her its okay she usually goes right back to sleep. the bad dreams seem to be getting worse, and come about once a night. They seem to genuinely terrify her. I dont know whats causing them or what to do.

Anyone else have this problem or know what do?

Squeakette

Asked by Squeakette at 9:05 AM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you need to tell her doctor sounds like night terrors just kinda odd that shes having them so young maybe birth was really tramatic to her? i dont know but i would tell the doctor and try and get a handle on it now before she gets too old and it really scares her
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• her birth was tramautic for both of us. 35 hours of labor and then a c section. it just worries me that she gets so scared. she calms down when I calm her, but I dont know what could be scaring her so bad.
    Squeakette

Answer by Squeakette at 9:20 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• My first guess would be gas. But this doesn't quite make sense when all you do is touch and speak to her. Perhaps she is in the habit now of waking, screaming, being comforted.

That's all I have. I agree with talking with her doctor. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 9:30 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• i would say that it is gas pains
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:15 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• My oldest DD has had night terrors since she was a baby, starting at about 18 months old. For our daughter, we discovered that she had these horrible yelling and screaming nightmares when she had to go to the bathroom. It took us a while to figure it out, but it started when she was about potty training age, and after about 6months we figured out that if we didn't give her liquid an hour before bedtime, and if we made her go potty immediately before she goes to bed, that she doesn't have them. To this day (she is almost 8yrs old now) - I can predict like clockwork if she's going to have night terrors - What I do now if she happens to drink or fall asleep before we remind her to go potty, is we quietly walk her to the bathroom and help her sit on the potty and pee. She rarely remembers the next day, but her night terrors go away. We still don't know where they came from, or why she has them - but the pee thing works for us
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 2:39 PM on Nov. 1, 2009