Question for Facebook users

Can someone please explain this to me: I know there are many reasons for using facebook, but one is to reconnect with long-lost friends/classmates, etc. What i don't get is when someone contacts me (long-lost person) and is so excited to find me, only to not reply to my messages, etc. to catch up!

I know everyone is "busy", but it's just frustrating when they email me and I take the time to reply and then they don't reply back, yet I see them on there all the time updating their status, etc.

I know some people just want to have a ton of friends on there (I've had people "friend" me who I don't even know! -- just by face recognition), but I just want to email these people who contact me and say, why did you even bother if you're not making the time to catch up? I don't have time to look through others profiles, pics, status, etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• just blow it off. ever notice how many 'friends' some people have? do you think they keep regular contact with all 745 of them? of the less than 100 on my contact list, i regularly 'talk' to probably 15.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:39 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I was just contacted by a college friend I haven't seen or heard from in almost 20 years! But, like her, I'm sure it was just so she could see what I and my husband and family look like today! I'm very happy in my life and think I've aged very well, so of course I didn't mind "showing off" a tad! LOL I don't expect to rekindle our BFF status, but as long as she doesn't become biatchy or whacky, I'll keep her as a "friend."

Sometimes too, those who want to be my friend just have mutual friends in common. I think FB is more popular among those celebrating milestone points--like class reunions--curiosity is a strong motivator! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:57 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• That's why I'm so selective with who I add as friends. I get people all the time that I don't even know who want to add me just b/c they're friends with my cousin or my uncle or my best friend or whatever, but I've never met them. They're just looking to up their friend count. My rule is if I don't know them, I don't add them...well, unless they're family. I have such a huge family, I don't always recognize them all, and my grandma would kill me if I ignored my family. lol

I will say, though, that when I DO add someone, if we don't have some kind of regular contact (message, writing on each other's wall, something), I will delete them. I use it to keep up with family and friends, but I'm not going to chase after them and obsessively inspect their page to find out what's up with them.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:07 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• That doesn't really answer my question. It's not about adding "friends"; it's about people not taking time to reply and catch up. Maybe I should reword my question so those who are like this reply.

"That's why I'm so selective with who I add as friends. ... I use it to keep up with family and friends, but I'm not going to chase after them and obsessively inspect their page to find out what's up with them."

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I am finding its kind of all about the person posting. You do it so your friends can see what you are up too and comment if they wish. Its more of a passive form of communication, than active. Also most of the people I know on Facebook, are off playing different "games" than actually reading posts and mail. They want you to know they are thinking about you, though, so they send you all kinds of "requests" so you can play with them and connect that way. (Not that anyone communicates that way, but they do know if you are playing.) Another reason is, look at how someone is posting, did it come from their cell? Because then it was just a quick update and not them sitting comfortably at home on their computers.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 11:07 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Thats funny , someone I went to school with just sent a friend request to me.I havn't awnsered because I don't want to be rude but we wern't close we didn't talk ,like at all. I wasn't miss popular or even close. I think I'm not going to accept.She jst saw that I replied to someone else we both grew up with.I don't know , just weird, I think.
    Anonymous