Christians: Do you think there are any circumstances in which a child is not a blessing? S/O

Aren't children always a gift from God? Do you believe it's possible for satan to use a pregnancy (and therefore a child) against you? I understand taking responsibility for your circumstances and situations but wouldn't any child, regardless of ANYTHING be a gift?

For example: My SIL was told she couldn't have children. She had sex out of wedlock and conceived. I understand that her having premarital sex wasn't God's will, but I believe firmly that the child was. Her "Christian" grandparents offered to pay for an abortion because she "ruined her life."

Another example: My LH and I had seriously considered never having children. I didn't feel ready until we began attending church. Honestly, financially and relationally it was about the worst time in our lives to consider conceiving. I wanted to get pregnant and he would say he did one minute and say we weren't ready the next. Cont'd....

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 9:33 AM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• CHILDREN CAN NEVER BE ANYTHING BUT A GIFT OF GOD as God is the giver of Life. He plainly states in Genesis "Let us make man in our image." It may not be God's will HOW the child was conceived (out of wedlock) but the child was known by God and prepared for this certain time and place for a specific reason. Read JEREMIAH 29:11. God knows ALL things so He is never surprised. There are no mistakes, accidents, surprises, etc. He has it all planned from the dawn of time until the end of time.
    wvwoodsartscraf

Answer by wvwoodsartscraf at 3:06 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• But inspite of the times he would say he wanted to wait, five minutes later we might be in the bedroom with no condoms used (the were within one foot of us) while I was ovulating and he would prop me upside down afterwards, lol. We got pregnant really quickly. I FIRMLY believe our pregnancy was God's will, regardless of our circumstances. He died 6 1/2 months later and I my child was a bigger reason for living than God was during those early months and the only reason my LH's mother still walks this earth.....

What do you think and why?
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:36 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Damien Thorn?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• It is all about perspective, regardless of what religion you follow, as to whether children are a blessing or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• that was a movie....yes children are always a blessing some people are too slefish to realize it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• as an xtian, i am supposed to say 'no'. as a realist, i think its not the child-blessing, but the circumstances a person allows (when its their own doing) him/herself to be put in, to where the possibility of a unprepared-for child is the result that isn't God's will. i've heard people say, ''well, i got pregnant because i was fooling around, not married. blahblahblah.'' i don't think God is going to 'reward' a person with a child, for their sin. its simply a possible consequence (quite medically, naturally, and realistically) of their sin's action. can this consequence then be used to glorify God? of course!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:46 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I don't know who that is, Anon, but I am assuming (without googling) that he is a murderer, or something alongs those lines. Hmmmmm.....good point.....BUT any of us could give birth to the next Hitler, Damien Thorn, etc......
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:47 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I see what you are saying Hair. In my first example I don't think the child was a "reward" for the sin of premarital sex, but I do believe that God will use any circumstance to bring good or for His glory, so I do believe the child was still a blessing.

Hmmmm.....I'm reading back over your answer.......do you think it's possible for a child to be a punishment for sin? (Which I understand is different than "consequence, " I just want to hear your answer.)
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:52 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• what about those of us who lived a morally sound christian life and are "rewarded" with special needs children? i don;t believe that God gives you what you can handle, because honestly there are days when I feel like the worst person in the world, and my kids are grating on my last nerve.

my relationship with God has been severely strained since having my children. what God would make a child suffer? i did everything (and then some) the right way leading up to, during and after my pregnancies! if God was not happy with me for whatever reason, why not make me suffer instead? what did I do to deserve this, when there are so many parents who take their perfect children for granted--including how my mother (the religious freak) treated me with constant verbal abuse and emotional blackmail?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I believe all children are a blessing. Life is not always planned out the way one wants, and I feel that through God things happen sometimes for a reason. Sometimes good sometimes bad. However, I have found instead of blaming God believe in Him and keep your faith He will get you through some of the toughest times in your life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Nov. 1, 2009