What can I give my baby for his cough?

My baby will be 1 in 2 days!! He's sick right now and has had a cough for the past month. It was starting to get better but now it's getting a little worse. I took him to the Dr. twice and she said it was a cold and not to worry. Now that it sounds worse should I take him to the ER? Or give medicine? I was thinking maybe we should try a vaporizer or humidifier. Do you know which one is better? I've never used one before. Thanks.

andreab562

Asked by andreab562 at 9:46 AM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• vaporizers are great vicks makes one that you put water in then you put some vicks vapor stuff in it's about $10 at walmart
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:59 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• There are no OTC meds approved for this age. If a medication were needed, the doctor would have to prescribe it. Steam up the bathroom and let him hang in there with you for 10 mins or so, humidifier is good also, and if you are truly concerned about the cough, put in a call to the doctor.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:13 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Don't go to the ER for a cough. You go to the ER for difficulty breathing (like asthma not stuffy nose) or very high fever. Your doctor should tell your how high. I wouldn't worry until 104.

When considering going to the ER think - what can they do about the problem? You don't want to go to the ER, wait hours, get exposed to who knows what in the waiting room, and get exposed to hospital germs from the ventilation system for something that is not an Emergency.

I would take the baby to the doctor again. Colds shouldn't last a month. There might be something else going on - allergies, sinus infection, ?

Dr. Sears says you can give Benedryl to a 1 year old. You should check with your baby's doctor. Here is a nice dose chart.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t088800.asp
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:38 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• If he has had a cough for a month there is something other than a cold going on. Either allergies, asthma, or acid reflux would be my best guesses. Wheezing, nostril flairing, or retracting are reasons to go to the ER. A cough is not. Find a new doc and adress his persistant cough. There is most likely a reason for it, but its not an emergency
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:47 AM on Nov. 1, 2009