using God as an excuse

I would like to hear your thoughts....

example - "Im going to do xy&z because I will pray and God will provide."

Do you think that by praying alone God will provide... or do you think that we have to take responsiblity to make wise choices?

Do you think that sometimes you are meant to fail as a lesson for your poor choices in life and until you have really really learned that lesson you will not be given the 'stuff' you are praying for? That what you should pray for is the knowledge or lesson.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Humans need to take responsibility. For example, if your child has diabetes, praying to God will not cure them. They need to have medicine and its the parent's responsibility to provide it. Life is what you make it with guidence from your God..

Ziggy-Stardust

Answer by Ziggy-Stardust at 10:50 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• You can pray all you want, but you also have to step up and take responsibility. Who knows maybe God is answering you and helping you by putting the actions out there for you to choose to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I agree. God isn't a genie as if we just rattle off our list of requests & rub the lamp. I totally trust in God as my provider. But I also realize that with His provision, comes a responsibility on my part to be a good steward of what He gives me. When we make bad choices in any area of our lives, there are consequences. This is no different with our finances.

We can't waste money, spend beyond our means & spend foolishly, end up in a financial bind, then expect God to bail us out. However, in His grace & mercy, He will provide a way out, but we have to be active in accepting His solution & make a conscious effort to make better choices.

There are times when we have a specific need, that with prayer & faith, God will provide either through someone, or through a circumstance miraculously, but for our day to day provision, I believe He provides the means by which we can earn what we need, we have to be wiling to get out & work
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I think prayer is fine, but you also have to take responsibility. And honestly, I don't think God is going to provide anything to someone that would just be irresponsible about it. He gave us free will (to choose Him or not to choose Him), but that free will should also be used to make good choices in our lives. I doubt He wants us to completely depend on Him for every little thing we do. He's a deity, not a babysitter.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:36 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• This is a hard one because no one can really speculate on another person's heart or their true motives. Sometimes we don't even know our own true motives. Also, God sometimes does strange things, like sending my 50 year old husband back to school to be a music pastor. We knew it was God because too many doors were opened for it not to be. However, logic would have told him to get a regular job and start saving for retirement.

However, God wants us to depend on Him (sorry anime mom) . Yes He gives us a mind and intellect but He wants to guide us as we use them. He wants to be involved with every aspect of our lives, because He cares for us and because He sees all of eternity. Sometimes the small decisions we make impact our lives in bigger ways than we think. So I believe that the key is being in close fellowship with God so that He can prompt our hearts even in small things.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• One thousand hands at work can do more than two clasped together in prayer.

Just sayin'.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:45 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• "However, God wants us to depend on Him (sorry anime mom) ."

There's a difference between being guided and depending on God for every little thing. I still believe that there is much He trusts for us to work out and the rest He will guide us toward. It's not really dependence as in a small child to a parent, but rather something akin to parenting an adult. My parents still guide my decisions from time to time because I ask them for their advice or help. They are older and have been through more so I seek guidance. It is the same with God. We should seek guidance, not to be completely dependent on Him. He doesn't want to babysit us. He wants us to choose wisely.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:22 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• The Prophet (peace be upn him) told us.. to put our full trust in Allah but to tie our camels. Meaning trust that Allah will provide but do what you must. Get out and get a job. LOL.. if you can't find a job.. pray that you find one, buy the newspaper,check the net, go door to door looking for a job. You have to trust in Allah but you have to use the means in which is provided for you.

the water is in the river.. but unless a horse walks to it, it cannot drink from it.. because the river will not come to the horse.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 1:25 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I do pray for God to give me wisdom and to help me be wise. We work, we budget, we try and save (LOL). We don't just sit around and hope someone will knock on the door and bring us food. Although God send us someone to bring us food if we needed it.

Right now we are praying for God to give us direction in a certain area of our life. He will give us confirmation of His will, just as He has at other times. He will tell us what to do. In the meantime I am doing as much research and preparation as I can.

I have responsibility, but I also follow His lead.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:44 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• This question reminds me of those "Quiverful" freaks who have like 20 kids because they ACTUALLY believe their god wouldn't send them any more kids than what they could take care of...or that their god will provide for the dozens of children they irresponsibly bring into this world.

Take responsibility for yourselves...no one else will.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:56 PM on Nov. 1, 2009