Anyone have any good recipes for stuffed bell peppers?

I have never had a stuffed bell pepper. Probably because im not so fond of bell peppers in the first place, DH on the other hand LOOOOVES them. He has been begging me to make him some stuffed bell peppers... LOL not only do I not know how to cook a bell pepper, but I dont know what to stuff it with? I Know the ones he loves has rice and cheese and meat I think... Anyway any of you ladies have a good recipe for some stuffed bell peppers?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I really don’t like bell peppers, but this is a really tasty dish. The original recipe called for brown rice, I used quinoa instead. I use 2-3 times more spices, too.
    MEXICAN STUFFED PEPPERS
    4 large red or green peppers
    1 T olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 stalks celery, diced
    1 t cumin
    1 t chili powder
    1 t basil
    ½ tsp oregano
    2 cups cooked brown rice or quinoa
    1 ½ cups cooked and drained red kidney beans
    2 T tamari
    Cayenne to taste
    1 ½ cups canned tomatoes with their juice
    1 small can tomato paste
    Thinly sliced cheese (optional)
    Wash the peppers and cut them in half length wise. Remove the seeds. Place the peppers, cut side down, on a rack above boiling water. Cover the pot and steam for about 10 min or until they are just beginning to get soft. DO NOT STACK ON TOP OF ONE ANOTHER...they will not steam evenly. Heat the olive oil in a large skill

Answer by rkoloms at 11:37 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Add the onions, celery, cumin, chili powder, basil and oregano. Saute until the onions are almost tender. Add the cooked quinoa and beans. Mix well; then add the tamari and the cayenne to taste. Mix again. Lightly oil a shallow 7 x 11 inch baking dish. Fill each pepper with the bean and quinoa mixture and place the peppers side by side in the baking dish. Mix together the canned tomatoes and the tomato paste. If the tomatoes are whole, chop them up or break them up with a fork. Pour the tomato mixture over the stuffed peppers. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake at 350´ for 30 minutes. Uncover the dish and top each pepper with a thin slice of cheese if desired. Return the dish to the oven and bake an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.

• I fry hamburger (or venison burger) with garlic & onion powder, salt & pepper then drain. Add 1 can of tomato sauce, 1 tsp sugar and more spices. Fold in cooked Minute Rice (usually 1 or 1 1/2 cup) or you can use regular cooked rice. Scoop into green peppers that I sliced long ways in half, then lay the peppers down in a baking dish that was sprayed with non-stick spray & spoon a little tomato sauce down too. Top with mozzarela cheese & bake until cooked.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 11:56 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I am not overly fond of them but here is what I do. I brown a lb of ground beef, throw in a can of tomato paste and one of water and add cooked rice, about half a medium onion and the diced bits from the top of the peppers. once its all mixed well I shove it into the peppers (just remove the top, and clean them out to prep them) then put them in an 8x8 glass dish open side up, and open a can of tomato sauce and pour it over them. Bake 25 or so min at 325. I am not fond of them but everyone else loves them.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 2:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:57 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:58 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Stuff the green bells, but then stuff a few medium hot yellow peppers also. The "hot" flavor will permeate the entire pan and give the taste a little boost. Plus, the yellows are not bitter like the greens.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 7:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2009