My dogs are in the garbage again! How do I keep them out?

How do I teach my beagle and lab to stay out of the garbage.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Pets

• Are your dogs In the house? I have a trash can with a lid, and I wipe it down daily and don't throw food in it. I either use the disposal or take it out to the trashcan outside. Our dogs don't bother it as long as we don't throw any food in it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:33 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Try putting some Tabsco sauce on some food and then putting it in the trash. If they dig and get it out and eat it, believe me they never will again!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Tabsco sauce? I live in Tucson. My dogs like spicy foods!

If your dogs get in the trash it's your bad not theirs.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:02 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Get a trash can with a tight lid OR as another poster said take tasty trash outside to that can ina wal-mart bag. It to some extent is instinct to rummage. I would also teach them a 'leave it' command. You can do this by dropping bits of food or treats on to the floor and then commanding 'LEAVE IT' After a few seconds give them a release command to go ahead and take it or pick it up and put it in their bowl(may be a better option with them). Make them wait a little longer each tim before removing the temptation or releasing them to have it. This will teach them first off that the humans have control over what goes in their mouth and also that just because they can reach it doesn't mean they are allowed to take it. If you decide to go with the 'you only eat what is in your bowl route. Make sure you are giving them all of their treats in their bowl as well and not out of hand.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:30 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I understand that it is our bad that is not the issue. Thank you for the input.
    Anonymous

• We have our trash in a cabinet under the oven. Recently one of my dogs learned how to open the cabinet and we bought the child proof magnetic things and that has kept her out.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• We have a trash can with a locking lid. That was the only way we could keep our dogs out of it. Just recently our dachshund has figured out how to unlock it so we put something on top of the trashcan too so she can't lift the lid.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 2:50 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• We also keep the garbage in a cabinet (under the sink), with a childproof safety latch. Darwin (our Greater Swiss Mtn Dog) is a master at opening cabinets, so the lock was a necessity. Once the bucket is full, garbage goes into the buckets in the garage (which he can't get into unless we let him...he still doesn't have thumbs, thank heavens!) until dump day.

The recycling bins are at the top of the basement stairs, once again behind a door he can't open. This dog is so tenacious about getting into stinky stuff we had to cut a hole in the closet door just so we had a place to put the cat box! But, once these precautions were taken, we haven't had any issues of "dietary indiscretion" due to garbage in the house in years. The compost heap is another matter...

Good luck. With the beagle's keen nose and the lab's instinct for getting into stuff, you're going to need it!
    kestrelscall

Answer by kestrelscall at 5:16 PM on Nov. 2, 2009