What can I take for sinus congestion?

I'm 26 weeks pregnant, and i've been dealing with sinus congestion for the last three weeks. I'm so tired, and i can't sleep, and now i'm feeling nauseous because of all the crap in my sinuses.
I've hear Ginger tea, but i don't have any ginger at all. I actually have no tea at all.
What can I take for a decongestant that's safe for the baby?

Jordanplustwo

Asked by Jordanplustwo at 12:04 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Health

• Plain sudafed is what I've been told. I feel you, I was congested my ENTIRE pregnancy.

I actually think that ginger is contraindicated during the second and third trimesters, though. Check with a midwife, they would know (a doctor probably wouldn't, though lol).
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:08 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Try a neti pot, it's non-medicated, or try just a saline nose spray.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I like Tylenol Sinus. Works great for me, and it doesn't leave me feeling all drugged up.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 1:08 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Call your nurse and ask. Do you want to risk your child on the advice of people you don't know?
    Anonymous

• I have sinus infections several times a year. The two most recent times, I have used a sinus rinse (or neti pot) and the vaporizer. I remember plain Sudafed being the only medication I could take when I was pregnant. Amazingly, the first infection I ever got was when I was pregnant with my oldest child.
    ch112752

Answer by ch112752 at 1:46 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Try a neti pot and a bowl of steam with peppermint oil. Avoid foods like dairy because it makes mucus worse and drink plenty of fluids.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 2:26 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Anon: HAHAHAHA you're funny, you don't think that would have been my first thought? Can't. the closest nurse is at the hospital. I'm not calling the hospital, you don't know my situation, don't presume you do.
    To the neti pot suggesters, I've seen that on like web MD and other such sites, (I looked at 5 am when i couldn't sleep this morning) I"m scared i'm gonna drown myself using that. I saw it when it was on... what was it, Dr Oz or ... the Dr's? something like that. and I was just watching it going oh god I'd drown myself. how do you do that properly?
    Jordanplustwo

Answer by Jordanplustwo at 2:30 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Moon lover, yeah I've heard stay away from dairy, that's all i want to drink *sniff sniff* I want a bowl of cereal too LMAO
    Jordanplustwo

Answer by Jordanplustwo at 2:32 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• There is a video from the Drs where Dr. Sears is using it. I can't paste the link. Sorry.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 2:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• You can use Simply Saline, it's a salt water solution that you spray up your nose to help drain the mucous. I would also put a sheet over your head & hold your face over a big bowl of very hot water. Also eat spicy foods if youcan tolerate them.
    Anonymous