My 2week old son wont let me put him down, help

My son is 2 and a half weeks. in the past two days hes been fussy a lot more than usual. he just wants to bf every 45 mins and he will stay there all day if i let him. once i think he falls asleep i go to put him down and he wakes up and cries. but when im nursing him hes so content and i dont know if hes actually nursing or just sucking. I tried his pacifier and he cries with that to. help I dont knwo what to do. i cant get him to sleep. i feel so bsd that i made him become clingy or is this normal....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my middle dd was like that. she had a reflux problem, so every time I laid her down she'd start screaming.

tilt the mattress of the crib up a bit, or see if he'll sleep on tummy. as soon as I put her on her belly to sleep she slept for hours.

and I'd recommend a wrap or a sling. had a wrap for my youngest (wish I had it for the other 2) it was heaven on earth - wore her all day and actually managed to get things done. with the wrap its tied securely so you don't need your hands to hang on. check out www.mamatoto.org for more ideas on babywearing.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:20 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• You can't hold a newborn too much, he might have colic. Try running your hair dryer on the cool setting in the same room where his crib is and see if it calms him. Or a white noise machine works well too. That's what I had to do with our middle son. He went through it for a couple weeks and then was fine. Maybe talk to your pediatrician about it too.. GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:20 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• My dear friend, this may sound harsh. When my kids were new, my husband was wise and took the little craddle into the livingroom and closed our bedroom door. I freaked out at first, then I actually slept. You can't be an alert mom if you don't sleep. Letting the little one cry seems terrible but he won't continue to cry forever. It may take a while. Be strong and know that you are loving him enough to take care of his mommy.
    thabellz

Answer by thabellz at 12:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• That's the way babies are supposed to be.

Good thing he didn't like the pacifier. With breastfeeding bottles and pacifiers should not be introduced until 6-8 weeks or longer. Artificial nipples can cause breastfeeding problems at any time but the first weeks are breast only.

With your first baby you are actually growing more milk producing glands and ducts during the first 6 weeks or so. Around 6 weeks two things happen. Your breasts have become better at making milk and feel softer and smaller. At the same time your baby goes through a growth spurt and nurses more often. Moms will think they don't have enough milk because they may be softer. It's normal and if there isn't enough milk the baby will make the breasts make more milk.

When the baby is sleeping in your arms that is sleep. That's how human babies have always slept. They cry when put down to let there mother know something is wrong.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:28 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• PUT HIM DOWN not for long periods of time but jsut for a few mins give him a toy and let him play on his own for may 5 mins wash dishes do laundry somethign active so you cant jsut run to him do this a few times a day he will get use to it he will learn mommy loves him but mommy has other stuff to do to and he can only have 90% of mommys time
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 12:32 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• When you think about how your baby is behaving think about human evolution. Think about how it must be for babies in third would countries. Babies' brains are hard wired for certain behaviors. They are born knowing how to nurse. They need to be held. They think it is dangerous to be laying down by themselves and cry to be picked up.

It is wonderful if you can just hold the baby all day and let the baby breastfeed at will. The baby behaving this way is making you rest and recover. In traditional societies there would be women caring for you. You would not be isolated with a newborn.

Nursing every 45 minutes is more natural. It sounds like you are doing a great job. Your baby would probably do well in a sling that he could nurse in. Then you could go about your day and he could be next to you.

www.kellymom.com is a good breasfeeding website.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:40 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Sounds like you have a BABY! Get over yourself.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:59 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Get a sling and learn to sleep with your baby in a recliner.

Gaill gave excellent advice. You cannot hold or nurse your newborn baby too much.

Some of the advice given to you would work with a 6 month old but not a 2 week old.

You never just let a newborn cry totally unattended for more than a few minutes. It can cause brain damage.

If you can't handle it or find a way to cosleep (which is really the best thing and only thing that saved my sanity), put baby down and call someone to come and help you. They can hold your baby for an hour or two so you can get a nap and regain your sanity.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 1:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Moon, even -I- think that was uncalled for and I'm a grumpy pants =p
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 1:03 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I don't agree with letting your baby cry for attention. That is very harsh. What if you were upset or needed a hug or to be held because of something upsetting to you, would you want someone to say well I am sorry but I don't have time to cuddle with you or nurture you till you feel safe. Tiny infants don't understand that you are standing right next to them. They only know they want to be held in your arms, they want to feel loved. Pick up your baby and hold him/her. They are only tiny once. The more you hold your baby the more secure they become growing up. Buy a baby wrap and carry the baby around with you, your hands will be free, and your baby will be happy. A happy baby produces happy family.
    slvrspoon98

Answer by slvrspoon98 at 1:04 PM on Nov. 1, 2009