14 month sleeping issue

my son will be 14 months old soon and hes been sleeping with me and my husband in our bed. a couple nights ago i started putting him in his crib and he only fussed for about 15 minutes then fell asleep. i was surprised at how good he did. his naps are different tho. he wakes up after only about 45 minutes to an hour of napping and can't settle himself back to sleep. (he usually naps with me and will sleep about 2 hrs.) Will getting him to nap on his own just take time? Will he eventually sleep longer again once he is more use to napping on his own?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You are doing great! I know some parents who let their child sleep with them and now he won't sleep anywhere else! I think that is destructive to him and to the parent's relationship. It makes the child overly dependent on you and you are joined at the hip. So keep on. He will sleep enough. His natural sleep pattern will take over soon.
    thabellz

Answer by thabellz at 12:27 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I actually decided on naps to just put him on the floor with a blanket spread out and a toy like a car to drive back and fourth, eventually he figured out he needed to stay on the blanket and was happy because he was in the living room with me.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:30 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• It sounds like he only needs a 45 minute nap now. My 13 mo grandson has recently stopped napping at all.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:03 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• i also sleep with our baby girl who is now 17 months, she has a toddler bed for naps(works great becouse she can wake up and walk right out to us,she loves it..any way i find that if i lay with her until she falls asleep,she will sleep for hours
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 2:15 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• i forgot to add,is there anything for sound in there? we use a fan and she sleeps better with some kind of noise
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 2:16 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• 45 minutes is a full sleep cycle. Get him up and give him another nap in a few hours, when he's ready to sleep again.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:13 PM on Nov. 1, 2009