Anybody have a SO with Bipolar?

If so, how do you cope with the ups and downs? Especially with children involved who don't understand.

I just need some help...it's stressful, and I know if it's stressful for me then it's way worse for him. I need some advice and a little understanding...please???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Health

• My father was Bipolar. He denied it the entire time he was living with us but even I could see it as a teenager. Make sure he gets help and meds. Speaking from experience, it is really stressful for a child to have to watch their father go from being fine one minute to violently yelling at everyone the next, I felt like I was walking on eggshells my entire childhood. GL
    Anonymous

• he needs to be on meds
    Anonymous

• My 21 year old son has bipolar disorder and an IQ of 80. It's so hard. I don't think he will ever be able to have a girl friend or get married. He hasn't tried because he doesn't want to treat a woman bad.

I have two older sons, they are 5 and 8 years older than him. For the past 5 years they have moved in and out of our home. He and I are living alone now.

What we do to make it is start each day new. I took graduate counseling psychology classes and it was my doctoral minor. When he is at work if he starts feeling bipolar (manic) or anxious he can call me and I can talk him down.

I'm disabled and can't afford to live alone. We need to live together. I found ways for him to buy a house with down payment assistance. A very nice remodeled house in Tucson with a pool and house payments of $500 a month. He also gets the $8000 tax credit. I set him up financially for life as long as he keeps being able to hold his job.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:59 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• "he needs to be on meds"

He just started risperidone...I'm not sure how long it takes to start working.
    Thank you for the advice, Gailll...I'm glad your son is doing well now. :o)
    Anonymous

• What about me? He is very nice to me almost all of the time. We have a close relationship. His father had undiagnosed bd and became violent when I was pregnant and we divorced. I was single since before my son's birth. We homeschooled.

I know I am the "victim" of verbal abuse. Because of it I have a low level of depression, dysthymia. I also have some problems with anxiety. People with bp say bad things. All people with bp say bad things. The chronic abuse hurts. Even with proper meds you can't expect people with bd to not say bad things. It is the second worse mental illness.

If there is physical abuse it isn't going to stop unless significant medication changes are made. A person with bd can't just say they aren't going to be violent. If there is violence against you or your children then you need to take steps to protect yourselves.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:14 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I'm glad you are ok, too. There is no violence, it's just hard dealing with his "episodes". He starts to write things that make no sense (no real words), say things that have nothing to do with what we are talking about, and he just seems to float away into his mind sometimes. Like daydreaming or something. I can't trust him to watch the kids so I can leave and get a break, so I am home with them all the time. He does get angry sometimes, but it's mostly yelling, and mostly directed at his mom....idk why.
    Anonymous

• Risperidone has a lot of side effects. One of the biggest problems my son has with meds is the make him sleep a lot. He is taking Paliperidone (Invega) a newer form of risperidone that has fewer side effects. Of course it is more expensive.

People with bd forget to take their meds. Sometimes they don't want to take their meds. When they are manic they may think they don't need them. There is nothing wrong with them. Everyone else has a problem, not them. They can feel more creative. When they are depressed they may not care or they may sleep through the time to take them. A pill box is a good idea.

Watch for signs in your children. My son was diagnosed at 11 but had symptoms at 4. He was misdiagnosed with ADD. Kids with bd break a lot of bones, have a lot of stiches, usually hate school, and may have problems with tantrums.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:25 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• It sounds like flight of ideas. Meds will help with that. He is having so many thoughts go through his brain at once he can't process. When you are trying to deal with kids and you are talking and driving multiply that by 10 and that may be what it's like.

My son only yells at me, once in a while his brothers. It's because he knows I love him and I won't stop loving him. He can't yell at people at work. So all of his yelling at everyone may cause him to yell at me for no reason. I walk away or I ask him to go away.

Your husband may yell at his mother for the same reason. Or she may just be irritating:)
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:38 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• DH does have a problem with taking his meds a lot. If he doesn't forget, then he swears he doesn't need them anymore and he's cured...of course, I know it's not true and I eventually get him to take his pill.
    Right now, he is having problems sleeping. He sleeps for 3 hours sometimes and wakes up for the rest of the night, saying he's feeling refreshed. I wonder if maybe my dd may have gotten it from him....she is not sleeping much. Do you think docs will be able to find out if she inherited it? She is only 3 yo.

And, I think his mom just might be irritating....LOL!
    Anonymous

• OMG, Gailll. Normal people can say bad things. You make it sound like all people that are bipolar are horrible people. I am bipolar, and take lamictal. It's make a huge difference. It took a while for it to work, I had to build up the dose. If the med he's on now doesn't work, he just needs to try another one, until one works. Hopefully a psychiatrist is the one that put him on the meds.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 3:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2009