not quite cuss words?

My kids 7,5, and 2 use some words i just can't stand but they aren't cuss words either. My husband says i am being ridiculous when I tell them not to say things like "lame" "duh" or "shut up" I find them all disrespectful to the person it is being said to and want them to stop- am i right? what do you do about these not-quite- cuss words?

Jezture

Asked by Jezture at 1:10 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I agree with you on "shut up" i think it is disrespectful and kids do not need to say it. the other two it depends on how they are using it.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 1:12 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Shut up is bad word in my house. Duh is rude i agree. Where did they hear that, school? Lame also, from school? I agree they are rude. Shut up sould be a plane out bad word. The rest i would explain to your kids they are rude. My kids say some things that are prob rude to each other. They tell each other to shut up and I hate that. It's also a bad word. Don't you hate when your bieng a good parent and your hubby doesnt back you up. I have the same issues in my house about the language.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 1:16 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• yeah they got "duh" and "lame" from school- and its used like Duh, mom, I KNOW that or Duh Keira its a whatever and You are lame! this is Lame, etc...
    Jezture

Answer by Jezture at 1:18 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I agree with the shut up.
    but "duh" or "lame" ...eh. i don't think those are a big deal.
    unless they are calling a person lame. That's not cool. that's just like calling a name as far as i'm concerned. But as far as saying that something is lame ...well, that's just like saying they are bored.

In our house we usually say "That's not cool". It works well for my LOs who are almost 5 and almost 4.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:24 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Cussing is about attitude and context not just the words used. My DS at a very early age picked up on the profanity vibe and while he has always been very good about not uttering words on the no no list, we have had to ban even innocent phrases like "apple juice" because he would use them in place of a no no word. I know it makes me sound bizarre, but he was, in his baby way, cussing. The words above have all been banned along with any other word of that type.

Anonymous

• We don't allow disrespectful works in this house, so "shut up" is a BIG no no. Name calling is also not allowed. I do let my oldest use the phrase "that sucks", but when she says it more than once or twice inside a few minutes, I tell her to knock it off. LOL Some other words we don't use is "hate" and "gay" (as in that's so gay). I wouldn't mind if they said lame, as in that's so lame, but name calling, as I said is not allowed, so they couldn't say You're so lame. Just our rules though.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• i dont mind lame too much, but shut up and duh do get on my nerves
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 1:26 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• my nephew calles me a mother freaker so lame and duah are no biggie
    Anonymous

• "Shut up" and "stupid" are not allowed in our house. "Lame" and "duh" haven't come up yet....but It obviously depends on the context in my opinion.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• In general, it's more effective to aim at something positive than away from something negative... mostly because 'away' means even just turned slightly, where 'toward' something else in particular makes life so much simpler.

"Please use a respectful word/tone of voice" is an easier direction to follow than 'stop using that particular word' or 'stop using that particular tone of voice.'

Of course, you have to also NEVER use that tone of voice or selection of words --not even to drivers in other cars. Your example of communication is much more influential to children than what they see on tv or what they hear at school --at least inasmuch as you'll ever hear it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:11 PM on Nov. 1, 2009