help we have fleas

what are the best products or techniques for getting fleas out of your house...we have two inside dogs!

JocelynsMama1

Asked by JocelynsMama1 at 2:19 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Pets

• I have been told that dried bay leaves will cause all the fleas to leave your house because they have a certain type of oil in them. I have never needed to try it though. Just spread them around your house on the carpet. It would be nice to get rid of them with no chemicals around your kids huh?
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 2:23 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• we have two dogs that are inside too plus an inside cat but our nextdoor neighbors have five cats that are indoors outdoors!!!! we were told the monthly med between the shoulder blades is important for all three of ours plus putting a flea collar inside of the vacuum and vacuuming several times a aday until all scratching and visual fleas are gone is very important to do.

The flea collar in the vacuum can be changed weekly if massive fleas or longer for a mild to small infestation. Plus washing bedding in hot water frequently extremely important too we do all that and also bleach whatever you can.

Good Luck it's maddening I know. A longterm frost has to come to kill the outdoors fleas so that your pets don't carry them inside. Don't know your weather where you are. lol
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:29 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I found a flea on my dog about three weeks ago. I called the groomers, here is their advice:

1st- take dog out of house, vacuum whole house, including his bed area, sweep floors- dispose of the vacuum bag and garbage after throwing away- immediately take outside of home- otherwise fleas can get back in.

2nd- treat carpets with a spray or powder

3rd- wash all pet's bedding with bleach

4th- shampoo dog with flea shampoo

5th- wait 24 hrs after flea bath and apply the flea treatment between shoulder blades

6th- set off flea bomb in house or retreat carpets with spray

Here is my advice with the above: My dog's smell was completely removed from my house and I found that after I did the above steps, he became confused, somewhat disoriented. He had a couple of accidents in the house, which he never did before this. I was told it was because I removed his scent.

So procee
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:46 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• sorry, proceed with caution!!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:48 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I would advise using a Flea and Tick bomber... I like the TAT brand (which is found at Wal*mart and Family Dollar for sure)... It kills cockroaches, fleas, brown dog ticks, crickets, houseflies, spiders, plus some...

I would bathe your dog in Flea and Tick shampoo, and also do a flea treatment.... If your yard is ate up in fleas, then you should do your yard too... They make a powder (and I spray too I think)....
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 3:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• However you treat for them be it a bomb or powder, ALWAYs remember to replace your vacuume bag after you have treated and vacuumed up the residue as the flea's will BREED in the vacuume bag and you'll just get them back again. I find that house Bomb's are best for fleas.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:05 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• For flea preventative after the fleas in the house and after the flea bath i would use a product from the vet.. I personally like comfortise. It's a once a month oral flea preventative. There are others that are topical sold through your vet that will also work great! The over the counter Hartz stuff does not work the active ingredient has been around so long that fleas are immune to it. the stuff from your vet will be more expensive but in the long run it's better!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2009