Do you think there should be a marriage class requirement before getting married?

Maybe it would cut down on divorce. I wish I had known what to expect.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• well you're supposed to have 'marriage counceling" by the pastor and his wife before you're married which was weird for me b/c the pastor that married my dh & i was a guy i grew up with
    Anonymous

• OP- I didn't get married in a church or by a pastor.
    Anonymous

• at acourthouse?
    Anonymous

• me either . I guess it would cut out a lot of divorces
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 2:30 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• OP- yes, I got married at the courthouse.
    Anonymous

• I was married by a reverend who was also a justice of the peace. You're only required to get marriage counciling before you wed if you're getting married by a church, which we did not. And honestly, I don't think that six weeks of counciling is going to make much difference. Could you truly open up, in front of your partner, about the most intimate problems you're having? I couldn't. I couldn't even be honest with myself about the problems we were having before we got married. I think it might help some people, but I think the problem with our divorce rate is an instant gratification society. We don't expect to have to work out our problems, so we bail when they don't fix themselves after a couple months. My husband's uncle and aunt gave us a medallion that said "Don't Quit" and a poem about not giving up for a wedding gift. It was perfect and has kept us going when one of us would have quit sometimes. Quite fitting.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I wish churches, temples, court houses etc. would have roleplaying of real life issues of kids screaming and 1 working parent, sick kids etc. balancing the budget etc. before marriage with an off of it that if taken somehow taxes would be lessened, cuz without a financial gain for the couple no one would attend.

Plus I wish pediatricians would offer role playing between couples as prospective and actual parents during pregnancies and a couple of times a year - but they do would have to have a financial gain for the parents to attend otherwise no one will
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• My husband and I took marriage counseling before we got married, and it really did help because it wasn't that we opened up a whole lot to this complete stranger but they taught us coping techniques. That and the counselor was the pastor of my husbands fathers church and he hated me so he spent a lot of time trying to convince my husband that I was the wrong person for him strangely enough it helped because even though a lot of our faults were laid out on the table we had already discussed all of the things he brought up and it helped us realize that we knew each other better then we thought we did.
    Anonymous

• There should be a class before AND there ought to be a law requiring a liscense to have a child not just to get married. With the divorce rate being 55+% we should have an 8 week course on marriage and getting along before we are allowed to get married. A marriage liscence costs like 7 dollars but a divorce goes into the tens of thousands of dollars.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:00 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• No, because I don't think it would do much good. Every relationship and marriage is different, and no one can really tell you what it will be like for you. Some marriages just fall into place and are easy and happy, while others take more work. People gave me all sorts of advice before we got married, but none of it really applied. Our marriage has always just been easy. Our friendship is strong, we don't fight, and we always manage to have fun together no matter the circumstances. I think if people just put more thought into their relationships and picked the right one, it would be better. Also, I really think that a lot of couples put so much time and energy into planning the wedding, but give little thought to the marriage itself. I guess my advice to anyone thinking about getting married would be: Pick the right one, be sure you're really sure, and plan for the day AFTER the wedding.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:03 PM on Nov. 1, 2009