anyone in their fifties? When I was a kid I remember getting a sugar cube with immunization medicine on or in it. Can't remember what that was four - it was mass immunization. Could that be done with the swine flu vaccine? But what could be used for diabetic people to take their meds on? So many swine flu med sites are overrun with more than can be handled.

lfl

Asked by lfl at 2:46 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Health

• Honey, there is really no need to fear. This is all a BIG publicity hoax so that we can turn out attention away from the economic crisis and spend the much needed money on our health care... why, because that is what this country is run on.. HEALTH CARE, medical, drugs.... etc.... We need money, so why not create a public scare?? Do you think otherwise....... It's no different than any other flu epidemic every year..... Please don't buy into all this crap..... It's so not worth it.
    Anonymous

• I'm 43 but I DO remember the sugar cube for mass vaccination and it was for polio I believe. For the diabetics I think they could use the fake sugar cubes for them yes?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:52 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Hi anon thanks for your reassurance. The question really didn't express fear. It's a question of if someone remembers themselves from childhood being vaccinated in such a way. And might it be a way to mass vaccinate those who want it.

I personally have chosen not to vaccinate my public school child. But everyone is allowed their opinions.

Just wondering if anyone's parents or themselves as moms remember that kind of vaccination.

I agree there is mass fear over this. Time will tell how real it is. Thank you for your good wishes!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:55 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• hi vbruno - I'm op. Ok probably your right. I'm mid fifties. I wonder why the sugar cube method can't be used to vaccinate those who want it? And you're right too about fake sugar cubes- Im not sure if there are any 'fake' sugar cubes" I know there's packets of Equal etc. But wouldn't the medicine sink to the bottom of the cup? I think the sugar might have been chosen because it was solid and held the medicine well?

I'm reading of so many people frustatrated and anxious over the way these Swine Flu vaccination sites are held - too bad there's not an easier way for them.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:00 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• It was polio

Answer by rkoloms at 3:32 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• It was a live virus and came out live in stool and could give people polio. It usually wasn't as bad as polio could be. Mothers got it from babies. Sanitation workers got it. After polio was gone in the US the only people getting it were people getting it from poop from the vaccine.

Sabin was the inventor and he was horrified that people were getting sick and the Salk vaccine could be used. He wanted his vaccine to stopped being used. It was used for years after they knew it could give people polio.

My computer is acting up and I can't look up how long. This is how I remember the story.

What's interesting is my children and I have immune deficiencies. We would have been at high risk for getting polio from live vaccine. We were part of a nationwide study of immune deficient people.

That's why you aren't eating live virus on sugar cubes. Live virus comes out.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:15 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• From what I can recall, I always thought it was measles.
    Anonymous

• I'm 44 and remember getting the sugar cube dose for polio. It was the only vaccination I DIDN'T mind getting! :0)
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 5:17 PM on Nov. 1, 2009