Do you think some people rely to much on pray instead of doing things to fix their problems themselves?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• yes
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 2:50 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• God will NOT fix any problem you are capeable of fixing yourself. So yes I think some folks rely WAY to much on God and prayer to fix problems they are easily capeable of fixing themselves.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:50 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Yes, I hear the saying "it is in gods hands or his will". I don't understand why people cant take responsibility for their own acting or in some case lack of action. JMO, but you can still worship god but take a proactive stance in your life.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:53 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• YES, YES, YES.
    Anonymous

• totally
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:08 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• NO! i say this because in the book of psalms it brings out how God wants us to rely on Him when things become too tough for us to handle! now if someone steels, kills, or cheats, prayer will not help them; but true remorse and need of Gods forgiveness will help them turn their life around. i say this from personal experience; when i go through things anywhere from the death of my child to an abusive relationship, when i am at my weakest and want to give up i turn to my heavenly Father and ask for His help and guidence, sometimes i admit to Him that the burden of the circumstance is too great for me to bare; and in His time i do find that He has not left me but instead carried me through it!!! we draw close to God through prayer, because that's how we speak to Him! God is amazing and faith in Him and our prayers prove it! God has not let me down yet, so i will always turn to Him with ANY hardship i face, that's overbaring!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• i don't think you can ever rely too much on prayer. that being said, God does expect some action on the part of the prayer. (if you like, we can throw this under the umbrella of 'free will'.) take parents who neglect their child's health concern, relying on prayer ONLY instead of prayer and medicinal/healthcare regimen. now, one would like to think faith alone can heal; but the 'healing' is in the eye of the beheld. God's healing isn't always the black and white healing we as humans insist upon. we tend to have tunnel vision when it comes to our own wants; God sees it all, and works 'it' out for the good of something bigger than i/you. (IMO) they'd have to wonder at some point, if God has seen fit to prepare a person/product/institution as a balm for healing, why be a fool and not use it? because God will provide? HE HAS PROVIDED!! (yeah, its a soapbox subject of mine, sorry!)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 3:15 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Absolutely.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:24 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Absolutely yes. In real life you have to take action to achieve goals or solve problems, to me what praying accomplishes is that you think you have done something without actually doing anything at all.
    But I am an atheist so what do I know??????
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 3:25 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I think there is a lot of anti Christian sentiment going on the last few days and I don't know why. Can you rely too much on prayer? Well how so? If you do nothing but sit and pray then I suppose you are not acting. Kind of like the guy who needed rescuing, a boat came he said no, a helicopter came he said no then lashed out at God for not saving him. God said I sent a boat and helicopter what more do you want. Now, if there is a person who refused to grab onto the tools that God sends us, yes they rely on prayers and not self help. Remember God helps the helpless.

Personally, I do not know anyone that would refuse a boat when drowning. I know many people pray for the strength or the tools to achieve and succeed. What I have seen a lot of lately is the refusal to admit prayers do work and because our prayers have been answered we have faith.

Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 4:06 PM on Nov. 1, 2009