dd just turned a year ....refuses to self feed?

id like to help her but really dont know what i can do. i dont want to keep putting it on the tray and watch her make a mess with it ..money sure doesnt grow on trees....i tried puttin into her hand and trying to put it to her mouth but she freaks out and screams....she understands that it is food...she was never a mouthy baby ..by that i mean she didnt chew on toys and such only me and her hands and bottles.....so it must be odd to her to put the food into her mouth> idk ...i just really want help...also ...how to you teach to drink from a straw?

gonnabamomma

Asked by gonnabamomma at 2:53 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she just turned a year old, then I believe you are pushing too hard. She is still just a baby, help her!!! And drinking from a straw is probably still a few months away at best.

Why the rush mom?
    Anonymous

• Every child grows at their own pace. Give her some time and do it slowly. Sucking from a straw works when they are thirsty. My son was a fast learner, so I didn't have many problems.
    Anonymous

• im not rushing ..im ok with her taking her time but at her 1 year check up her dr was the one saying she should be doing it ...and the straw is for the sippy cups that use a straw not trying to rush and dont understand why people are so quick to judge when all i did was ask for help?
    gonnabamomma

Answer by gonnabamomma at 3:02 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Not judging, I am giving advice, advice to not worry about it so much. Back off and try it slowly again in a few weeks.

Most kids get a "I wanna do it" attitude. When you see that emerging, Give it another try.

Anonymous

• Umm babys play with food, just get used to it. You may have to give her each type of food as much as 30 times before she gets it.
    Anonymous

• At a year I definitely don't think she is ready for straws they are hard to drink from because the sucking action. I'd suggest getting her regular sippy cups , the sippy area is much shorter and will help her work her way up to straws.

On the feeding thing I would not stress so much. It's normal for babies at a year old to play in their food more then eat it. It's a new sensation and a new feeling for them. Have you tried getting a plate of similar food sitting directly in front of her and showing her one bite at a time how to eat it? Maybe seeing mommy do it will make her want to mimick you and go from there.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 3:20 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• It is a process, not an event.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:31 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• If she is growing and eating when you feed her then I wouldn't be too concerned. If not, she could have some tactile problems.

She should have been feeding herself between 6-9 months and drinking from a straw months ago. If she is doing ok on other development then again I wouldn't be too worried. If not, I would talk to the doctor about having her development evaluated.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:53 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• She should have been feeding herself between 6-9 months and drinking from a straw months ago.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry but I think this is wrong. 6 to 9 months is a bit premature. Babies don't have the coordination to grab their cereal and bring it to their mouths. Most kids on average are feeding themselves between a year and 18 months. You'll notice that the sippy cups with the straws have an age range of 2 - 3 years on them not 6 to 9 months.

Anonymous

• She should be able to pick up pieces of cheerios or gerber puffs and bring it to her mouth or at least attempt to. However, at this age, I wouldn't expect her to self-feed with spoons or forks. I would just cut up small pieces of banana or soft fruits and serve it with dry cereal and let her self-feed that way. You can also try to make oatmeal or something sticky and show her how to scoop it up and eat it off the spoon by herself. But don't be surprised if she does not ace this for another few months. My son just got good at it at 16 months old. He could stick it at his plate and bring it to his mouth sloopily at 12 months old. Most of it fell off the spoon in the process.

She should be able to suck things up through short pieces of straw. Maybe not perfectly. I don't think straws are ideal for this age, though. Unless it's one of those sippy cups with soft silicone staws. Regular sippy cups would be better in my opinion.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 9:18 PM on Nov. 1, 2009