How do you make the scent of homemade candles stronger?

I"ve been trying to make homemade candles but they don't have much scent. I added a whole block of fragrance to one and it barely seemed to have a smell. Any advice?

angiewith2

Asked by angiewith2 at 3:33 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• There is an additive that you can buy that will help extend the life of the candle and help with the scent. You want to be careful puttting too much fragrance in as your candle can sink. (I learned this the hard way). There are serveral sites on line where you can purchase lots of stuff. i believe it is called styrene but I am not sure. I kind of quit making candles for a while though I love it.
    VicMo

Answer by VicMo at 4:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• really it depends on the kinds of wax and the quality of fragrance.. I make soy candles and I use candle science liquid fragrance and their 464 soy wax... one ounce frag. per pound wax. Each frag has its own strength.. some are a 1, some are a 2, some are a 3. I tend to only purchase the scents which are a 1 or 3, because adding extra frag. can mess with the pour of the candle. In general I am really happy with their products and the scents have great throw even when not lit... a single 8oz candle scents my entire living room which is about 500 sq feet without being lit. They are relatively inexpensive too, when you consider that a 16oz bottle scents 16 pounds and averages $15.00.

LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 11:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2009