What does it mean when the car

acts like it's going to start, turns over, there's a popping noise and it won't start?

kjrn79

Asked by kjrn79 at 3:39 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Technology

• I am glad that you wrote what it was but I am sorry that it turned out to be something so expensive. It is amazing how necessary cars are but how expensive they are to keep running. I guess actually it makes sense. Hopefully this will be the last repair that you have to do for awhile!! There is this great show on NPR that you call into and they diagnose your problem, mayeb you go there next time instead of asking us because apparently we did not have a clue.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• It sounds like it may be the starter but not 100% sure.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 3:44 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Check your starter and your battery those are your best bets for what is wrong.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 3:48 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• good, good...now how do I check the starter? The battery seems okay, because the lights/radio/ etc work okay.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 3:52 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Starter, alternator, spark plugs. Do you have AAA?

Answer by rkoloms at 7:03 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I found this online so try this it may help. Turn on your headlights and start cranking if lights go out you probably have a poor battery connection check all connections to your battery- or a bad battery. Car starts but headlights are dim could be alternator.Car won't start makes a click or grinding noise check your starter. Hope this helps.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 7:18 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Starter, battery, alternator or ignition switch.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 8:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• If it is clicking it is more than likely the battery. The lights and radio can work but the battery cannot have enough power to get the starter going to turn the engine over. When you are hearing clicking that means the starter is working but is not getting enough. So I would start with the battery.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:09 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• It was the fuel pump. I notice that none of you said that, lol..... We are not mechanics, are we??? It was very expensive and I'm very unhappy. But it's fixed. so, that's good.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 2:47 PM on Nov. 4, 2009