My doctor's office does a vaginal exam, when your approximately 37 weeks....

Has anyone had a vaginal exam this far along in the pregnancy? Has anyone decided to not have a vaginal exam this far along in the pregnancy? I am going to have my cervix checked weekly when I hit 37 weeks, but I am not sure about the vaginal exam....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• "you know that the nurses and doctor is going to be doing that to you all day the day you go into labor right? it doesnt hurt anything.."

Some laboring women do consent to this. NOT getting checked is more normal than getting checked.
    It is hard to be invaded in labor (especially when unnecessary). And there are risks with getting checked. Mostly the emotional strain of hearing the result. But also the sphincter law, the forcing of bacteria up to the cervix, increasing risk for infection, possible membrane stripping, rupturing (which is a big deal)... There are many ways that getting checked *does* hurt.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:40 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• the vaginal exam is when they check your cervix.

my OB for first 2 pregnancies didn't believe in doing them but the OB for #3 did it weekly.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:53 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Yes, this is how they check to see if your cervix is dilated, they are just wanting to make sure that they know if the baby may come early or not!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Yep, the vaginal exam is when they check your cervix, its the only way they can check your cervix :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:00 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I never had any vaginal exams (cervix checks) with my pregnancies. You can decline any offer, or accept. Knowing what your cervix is doing at any given moment will not tell you how or when you'll labor, it doesn't matter. It does add risks, though. So if you're not wanting the vaginal exam, just say, no thanks!
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:17 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• My OB did one on me at 37 weeks, but I had already been having contractions and was very slowly dilating and she wanted to check how far I was. I wouldn't know how they do it in her office otherwise; I would assume yes, just to see.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:25 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• You do not have to consent to any proceedure or medication that you do not wish to. try to remember that you are the consumer. you hired the doctor to work for you, not the other way around. if you are uncomfortable with anything, you can absolutely decline. I never had any checks.
    squish

Answer by squish at 4:30 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• i had them weekly from 36 weeks till i went into labor 2 weeks later i just dont understand why it would bother you you know that the nurses and doctor is going to be doing that to you all day the day you go into labor right? it doesnt hurt anything..
    Anonymous

• is up to u and a vaginal exam is how they check ur cervix, but is your chice so if yopi dont wnat your cervix check then you can say no thanks
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:31 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• A cervical check is also a vaginal exam.
    You don't have to have them. You can refuse them while you're pregnant. You can refuse them while in labor too.
    I didn't have any exams with this pregnancy, nor while I was in labor. I simply told the nurse at the beginning of my appointments that I didn't want an exam. As for during labor, well, that was easy: I stayed home too long and ended up having my daughter at home! But I've heard that doctors and nurses can be really pushy if you say you don't want exams during labor.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 9:25 PM on Nov. 1, 2009