Switch to Blue ray

Okay, so I was considering getting a blueray player for DH for Christmas and started trying to look at the different ones and I realize that I don't have a clue what I am doing.
Not only that I have been reading and it seems that not only do I have the buy a player, but that I need to buy a new tv in order to see the benifits and a new speaker system to hear the difference. Reeally? This is going to cost a fortune and I just can't do that right now (or in the forseeable future).
I am so lost on the whole process. So my question is does anyone know of any websites that are good telling you what all you need and what to look for etc. I want to try to get stuff on Black Friday, so I need to get well informed before heading into the abiss.

wv_mom

Asked by wv_mom at 4:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Technology

• I'm not sure about needing a new sound system, obviously everything sounds better in surround sound but I don't think it's necessary! I do think you need an HD compatible tv though. I'll do some googling and come back and post again :) good luck!
    maybaby08

Answer by maybaby08 at 4:20 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I didn't find much... if your DH plays video games a PS3 will play Blu Ray discs. so it might be cheaper to buy a PS3 on black friday rather than all of that equipment even if he doesn't play!
    maybaby08

Answer by maybaby08 at 4:23 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Well, there are several name brand BR players for about $150 and PS3s run around $300. But the tv is what is a killer price wise. I don't think we can really afford a new one and if you need one to get the benefits of BR then, I do believe we are probably out this year, because even on black friday I am not seeing a tv that is as big as ours coming into a price range that is reasonable for us this year. We will jsut have to wait. Plus I have been thinking about it and I am not totally convinced blueray is going to be the winning bid. I mean if they were to move movies onto a usb stick they would be much smaller and they wouldn't have problems scratching, they could be played on computers, game consoles, heck it wouldn't be that much to cut out the player all together and build it into the flat panel. But that might just be stupid because I haven't seen the difference in blueray verses what you see on the computer screen.
    wv_mom

Answer by wv_mom at 8:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Completely see where you're coming from :) I'm sure Blu Rays will last about as long as DVDs, if not shorter, before they're replaced with something like you're talking about. We do have a BluRay player and we love it, but if you need to buy a new tv I say it's not worth it. Just my 2 cents.
    maybaby08

Answer by maybaby08 at 2:25 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• You must have an HD television that's capable of connecting a Blue Ray player up to it.
    So yes... you need the right t.v. -----that supports HD quality picture and sound.

This is a great article that explains it in further detail and offers helpful tips:
    http://hometheater.about.com/od/blurayandhddvd/bb/blurayhddvdbyb.htm

PinkSodaPop

Answer by PinkSodaPop at 6:16 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Phillips is great =)
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 2:00 AM on Nov. 11, 2010