Christian - Born again vs. not

I have been a Christian my entire life, but tend to think more liberally than my born again friends/family. Why do they look down on me because I'm not "saved"? I am a kind, honest person, but that doesn't seem to matter.

1funkymomma

Asked by 1funkymomma at 3:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Your salvation is a personal relationship with God and belief in His Son Jesus. It is not a determination of man, nor is it a set of rules ordained by man. No doubt God has revealed standards to man which are good to live by but man is not the author or finisher of your faith or salvation (thank you Jesus). You don't have to be perfect to be saved, in fact I dare anyone to say truthfully they are. The Apostle Paul said he die daily to sin. Paul was no doubt saved, fire baptized and Holy Ghost filled but even with that, being endowed with knowledge he admitted sin is still in the flesh which he has to die "daily" to.
    My BEST advice: Relax and enjoy your relationship with Jesus, the good and the bad. Remember God does "convict" you when you are wrong but He does not "condemn" you!! He is available to help you. Blessings.
    Ladycwells

Answer by Ladycwells at 4:02 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I would have to ask why do they think you are not saved?
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 5:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Christians judging christians, what is the world coming to? Being saved is a belief in God and what He can do for you. Only you can save yourself. Maybe they do not know this. But looking down on you does not make them any better. The world is crazy.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 8:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Our good works will not get us into heaven.
    The word of God does say we must be born again by being baptized in Jesus name for the forgiveness of our sins and then we will receive the gift of the holy spirit.
    MunkyS

Answer by MunkyS at 9:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• What if you believe that the Bible was written and edited by men and may not be the actual word of God? How can any of us actually know who or what God is? Can't God be different for each of us?
    1funkymomma

Answer by 1funkymomma at 8:39 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Well I do have one question first, and I ask this not to judge...just to understand better (don't worry I'm a more liberal Christian myself lol). What are your views on Christianity? I ask because the more mainstream view of Christianity is that you must be saved (asking for forgiveness of your sins and letting God into your heart) to enter into heaven. So I can in a sense understand why they wouldn't like that you aren't saved, because they may feel that you can't truly be a Christian until you've accepting Christ and have been saved. This is a very typical view.

However, I don't agree *at all* with them looking down on you for it. Christians shouldn't be judgmental of anyone, much less other Christians. It is called a PERSONAL relationship for a reason, because it's personal...they don't negate what makes you a Christian and what doesn't/
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:59 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• i think if ur heart is clean and pure and ur coincience is clean and u have let god into ur life ur saved...how many ppl get baptised and do bad thngs in life or think dirty...and deeds there are so many ppl that do good deeds for wrong reasons...i kno so many that do them but have a dirty heart they only do them for appearance...them looking down on u is wrong ask them if they're so christians y do they judge u? y do they look down on u? isnt that against ur morals...now a days ppl only judge without looking at themselves first
    LuLu614

Answer by LuLu614 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• The answer is actually very simple. 1. Christian= Being Christlike in every way possible. 2. In Christianity you must accept Jesus as your personal Savior. 3. Realize that we will always be sinners but strive and do our best to live like we should. 4. When we mess up ask God to forgive us.
    Most important - You are Born Again when you accept Jesus into your heart. The old person is dead and the new person is reborn making you a joint Heir with Jesus to the throne of God.
    motivesmom

Answer by motivesmom at 3:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• What about practicing Catholics or Episcopalians who don't "accept Jesus Christ as their personal savior" because that is not what is taught in those sects. I've only heard about being saved through my born again friends. How can those who practice other faiths be excluded from the Kingdom of Heaven? That doesn't sound very Christlike to me. I am not trying to offend anyone...just looking for answers.

Can anyone recommend any good books to read?
    1funkymomma

Answer by 1funkymomma at 3:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• 1funkymomma I would suggest you start with the new testament and read the book of John..Thats a good place to start...I also was in the Catholic Church when I was searching..and yes you can be a "born again Christian" even in the catholic church.someone oonce told me to eat the meat and spit out the bones but you can't do that if you don't have knowlege...you can also go to a christian book store and they can help you by making suggestions...I wish you the best ...you can't be excluded from the "kingdom of Heaven " if you have accepted Jesus as your savior no matter what church you are in...The truth WILL set you free..It did me...
    pdm

Answer by pdm at 6:27 PM on Jun. 25, 2008