One yr old wont drink milk

My daughter is 17 mos old. She has been on milk for about 4 mos. She only drank it for about a month till she started drinking less and less now she is down to about 2 ounces a day! I have tried mixing choclate and strawberry syrup. She just doesnt want it.... I dont know what else to do any suggestion or supplements?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If a 17 month old has a healthy diet and drinks enough water, than there is absolutely no need for milk.
    There are other types of milk, if you are very keen to push it, like almond milk, but really - milk just isn't needed when they have a proper diet and drink enough liquids.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:12 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Cow's milk is for baby cows. Moo:)

In most societies children don't drink cows milk when they wean.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:22 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Toddlers from the age 1 to 2 need cows milk for the fat , n of course the calcium .. but in any case change to soy or evaporate milk ... until then keep with the milk its apart of the nutrition for good bones n healthiness.. jus as we adults need as well jus 2% because as we aged calcium hurts us .. jus ask ur pcp ...
    blssdwittwns930

Answer by blssdwittwns930 at 4:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• they have those breakfast mixes u can get,there pretty good. or u can try warming it up
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 5:06 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Milk is not necessary. Water, and a balanced diet is sufficient.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Gailll...shove it. Your attitude is so unwelcome. (and I know I'm not the only one who thinks that, either)

Fat and calcium can be obtained from other sources, it's not VITAL that she receive any kind of milk right now. I can understand your concern when you want her to drink more, though. If you really want her to drink more, stop giving her other things to drink. She will drink more milk. Personally, I would make up the nutrients in foods and only give her water to drink if she refuses milk (no juice or other drinks). She'll be okay.
    Anonymous

• Offer whole milk yogurt and good cheeses. Avocado is a great source of 'good fat' to. She'll be fine. Some kids just don't like milk. If you are insistent that she drink it then continue to offer it in small quantities but make sure she is getting plenty of other fluids. Maybe it's just a phase.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:10 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• My son drank mainly soy milk because he didn't want cow's milk. Now he rarely drinks either. I only give it to him when he asks for it. He's getting everything he'd get from milk in other way so I never worried too much about it.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 7:04 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• My son isn't a big milk drinker, either. He's still nursing and doesn't really like the flavor. You could try some of the vegan milks: rice, soy... almond if your daughter's doc has ok-ed nuts. We do a lot of other dairy to make sure our son gets enough calcium. Will she drink orange juice? Tropicana makes a decent orange juice that is supplemented with calcium. You also need to make sure your child is getting enough Vitamin D, whether it be from the sun or a supplement.

Here's a good website listing calcium sources in other foods: http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/07/10/03/calcium_better_from_food_says_new_study_here_are_the_26_top_calcium_food_sources.htm
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 12:25 AM on Nov. 3, 2009