My son is 4 years old and is out of control,maybe it's the sugar I don't know bu7t I need to know how to elinate the sugar altogether with more fruits but my Autistic niece eats up and drinks all the healthly stuff I bring upo in here,I would love to buy more fruits for a hyper kid but how can I hide it in this house?

wandaluv

Asked by wandaluv at 4:15 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It nice to have a healthy diet but getting rid of sugar isn't going to do it. Studies have shown that it doesn't work. Don't buy bad food and then there is no bad food to eat.

Need to learn some new parenting skills.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:19 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Do you live with your niece or does she just come over to visit? Either way if it's your food and you're buying it your Niece's parents need to make sure that she has her own food to eat it's not ok that you buy food for your son and it isn't there for him when you want it to be. Find a way to talk to everyone in the house you live with and tell them that you're having an issue with your sons hyperactivity and that you need to put him on a special diet to cut out all sugars. IF they don't live with you then tell them that they need to bring fruits / veggies etc over for when they bring your niece to the house
    Anonymous

• Have you considered marking off certain shelves/drawers in the fridge, or buying special colored food storage containers and telling your niece and her parents that those are your sons and 'off limits' to her? You may want to talk to your nieces' parents and explain that she is eating up all the things you are buying for your son. Maybe they can monitor her a bit more, or try to make sure she does not get into your things.
    Good luck
    Anonymous

• Don't try to hide it, make it special. Cut up fruit, and make fruit smoothies, or a fruit parfait with plain yogurt and granola. Make a fruit platter with a yogurt dip, most kids love small fruits that are easy to hold like grapes and strawberries. I also found that dairy products were causing my son behavioral problems, so I eliminated dairy and replaced it with soy and other non dairy products, and found it made a huge difference in his behavior. Eliminate one thing at a time, wait 2-3 weeks to see how each food affects his behavior. It can be difficult to figure out at first, but food affects people differently, and nutrition really can make a difference in how he behaves and feels.

Good Luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Stop buying it. I don't buy any junk food. 1. i cant afford it. 2. It's crap.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 4:22 PM on Nov. 1, 2009