Is there anybody out there with kids on meds who are just active but have not been diagnosed with anything because I'm all for my son being calm when he's out of control to the point of locking myself in my room or the bathroom to escape his bad behavior because he doesn't listen and I don't know what else to do to have some peace in my house?

wandaluv

Asked by wandaluv at 4:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Kids' Health

• You need to learn some new parenting skills. There may be classes in your community.

You don't say how old your son is. Love & Limits by Elizabeth Crary is good for younger kids. How to Talk So Kids Will Listen is good for older Kids. Some public libraries have the How to Talk ... parenting workshop that you could do by yourself or get a bunch of friends together to do.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:32 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• What the hell... stop locking yourself away from him and stand up and be a mom! Bust his ass a couple times and you'll be back in control! I don't mean beat him, I mean spank his bottom a few times only hard enough to sting a bit. He thinks he can walk all over you and right now he is. Show him who's who.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 8:57 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• How old is he? What is he doing?
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 1:07 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Maybe you should stop locking yourself in the bathroom and start paying attention to him, teaching him the behaviors you want him to exhibit and discipline him. He seems to be out of control beause of a lack of parenting skills or an understanding of child development. Like another poster said, take a parenting class. No parent is perfect and everyone needs help once in a while.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:17 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I looked at your profile. Did you adopt? Or is this a step child? I really think you need to get a few parenting books and see what to expect from different age groups. 4 is an age when they don't stop going. They have usually stopped taking naps. If his diet consists of sugar and fat, you will have even more problems. This includes hidden sugars (like corn syrup in cereals, bread, ketchup) and normal places you would expect like candy, soda, and other sweets. Get the crap out of your house. Get out of the bathroom. Find some things for him to do that do not involve the tv or computer (try riding a bike, dancing around the living room, racing from the front door to the back, swimming, jumping) and some chores (helping with laundry, recycling, wiping the table) and calm activities like puzzles, coloring, reading. Make sure you are both getting enough sleep and stop trying to label him ADHD. HE IS 4. And acting it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Maybe if you people knew her situation maybe you wouldn't be so quick to judge her.She's a 43 year old mother who is not only raising her son alone but there is a ADHD aduylt living there also which she's an legal guardian for since she was six years old.She's 24 years old and have been living in the home since she was born.she also has mental retardation with Obsessive compulsiv Disorder.This woman doesn't know what it's li8ke to have time for herself since Her son may have special needs along with his cousin who needs more care and she's doing this all by herself and she may medical problems herself so please people everybody is not doing what she's doing which is a lot so save the disciplining skills for those who are not totally stressed nout to the max.
    wandaluv

Answer by wandaluv at 1:39 AM on Nov. 15, 2009