To confront racism or not?

I work with a woman who makes very disparaging remarks about other races, mostly African Americans. I thought I had made my position clear about how I felt about such language, but she persists. (FTR, she has not used the "n" word) This person is "above" me on the ladder at work, so it's a little complicated. I am still made to feel uncomfortable and try to avoid any conversation that is not work-related. Any advice?

RunninRagged64

Asked by RunninRagged64 at 4:26 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• Talk to her and make it clear. If she doesnt listen and your job is on the line then you can either report her or ignore it and do your job.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:28 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I'm sure your company has a strict policy on things like that. It falls in the same category as sexual harrassment. Discrimination of any kind or remarks made to indicate discreminitation that can also cause someone to be uncomfortable are wrong and should be brought to the attention of someone. Out right tell this Lady that you do not share nor think like her and due to your difference of opinion would appreciate if she'd watch her comments around you. If she still disregards what you say then go to HR.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 4:31 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I would mention one more time to her that you do not care to hear those remarks. If she persists then take the issue directly to your HR person and have them talk to her about her comments and behavior. Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:56 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• This is dicey, I hate to say it but it's not helpful for you that she's above the ladder than you. Whatever you decide to do, have evidence and be very careful. Your word against hers is not enough. I don't blame you however for hating this situation.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:29 PM on Nov. 1, 2009