Homeschooling and work, how could I make it work?

How can a family or single mom homeschool and still work full time. Are there anyways to homeschool and work outside the home? I am looking for tips, examples, stories, and ideas. Any and all information on the topic of homeschooling while holding a job of any kind would be helpful.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• So long as you dedicate at least 6 hours of your time monday to friday to schooling, and keep up with the lessons, then there is no reason not to.

When you homeschool, you can be more flexable - so if you work from 9am until 1pm, you can home school from 1-6pm (with a break inbetween).

But if you work monday to friday from 9-5, well, you just don't have enough time to take on full time education with your child.
    Anonymous

• I homeschooled my 3 kids as a single mom and full time grad student. I thought it was easy so I'm probably not the one to talk to. I loved going to college and had an unschooling philosophy. I had a great guy sitter that took care of them for 4 years when they were younger, he was a special ed major. By then they were old enough to stay alone. My classes were mostly evening.

I think the www.mothering.com discussion boards would be a good place for you to find info.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:16 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I work at home and homeschool. It is more flexible, and you don't have to do the hours straight through. We do 2 hours in the morning, 2 in mid afternoon, and 2 at night. You could always do some on the weekends too. Working 9-5 should hinder anything, even working outside the home.
    Like I said, you could always do it on weekends too. There are plenty of parents who do it.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 5:19 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Six hours is a long time. Many homeschoolers only spend an hour or two a day. With homeschooling you are going at the child's pace. It's one on one learning. It is so much better than public school. There is no waiting in line and all the other down time.

There are many homeschooling philosophies. You can spend no structured time up to 8 hours a day or more. Unschooled children like mine still end up getting into college and doing well.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:24 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I'm not a homeschooler but I know of a family that mom is the primary bread winner. She also does the homeschooling. Dad is at home but he doesn't do much teaching (doesn't do much in general but that's another story) He cooks dinner, they eat then she does the homeschooling. They are behind in the work though. I suppose because she is so tired. But if he were more helpful around the house they could do it.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 10:34 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I only work part time on the weekends, and I get to stay home with my kids mon-fri. I would never spend 6 hours a day doing home-school. That is ridiculous. We take a more relaxed approach with our home-schooling, and my kids are thriving. It always amazes me how much they can learn just by being who they are, and living their lives. If you really want to do it, you can make it work with any schedule.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:57 AM on Nov. 2, 2009