After all the fuss, public health plan covers few

What's all the fuss about? After all the noise over Democrats' push for a government insurance plan to compete with private carriers, coverage numbers are finally in: Two percent.

That's the estimated share of Americans younger than 65 who'd sign up for the public option plan under the health care bill that Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., is steering toward House approval.

The underwhelming statistic is raising questions about whether the government plan will be the iron-fisted competitor that private insurers warn will shut them down or a niche operator that becomes a haven for patients with health insurance horror stories.

Some experts are wondering if lawmakers have wasted too much time arguing about the public plan, giving short shrift to basics such as ensuring that new coverage will be affordable.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091101/ap_on_go_co/us_health_care_public_plan

Question: ONLY 2%? Is this what you want?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• So, if over a trillion is only going to do something for 2%, what the heck would happen if employers took the penalty and dumped their employees into the 'option'? How much more would that end up costing? I am sure that part of the bill has changed, right? Is it possible that this bill is even worse than the first one? This just goes to show that the more DC screws with something the worse it gets.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:14 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Wow! Only 2%? That doesn't seem like it will really help.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I wonder how they figured only 2%. Is this based on polls? It seems almost too small to even bother with. I have talked with a few different people outside of CM who were excited about the public option--I can't believe these few in central California are the only ones. It is a quandry...
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 5:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I am sure I am missing something. I thought the last I heard is that this reform was going to cost in the neighborhood of $900 billion dollars. Is that what it is going to cost to provide benefits to 2%? Please tell me I am missing something (I have been out of the loop for a few days).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:58 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Is obama still going to pay my mortage and car note with this gov run insurance? I voted for him and he better.
    Anonymous

• When will you people learn. They want the power much more than they want the people to be covered. They figure sooner or later everyone will be on their government plan then they will be covered.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:14 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• It is the "can't figure out what is in the bill" that worries me. I don't have time to read a bill that is just shy of 2,000 pages. It's the hidden nuances and vaguely worded rules and procedures. The government can't tell that we, as citizens, are bound by law to purchase a product or service. It is unconstitutional. I heard the argument that car insurance is required. Well, not exactly. You don't have to drive. If you want to drive, you have to follow the law. If I want to live, I have to have the UHC? It's not like I can choose not to get sick, or need to go to the dentist. Politicians need to stop trying to take care of us like we don't have enough sense to take care of ourselves.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:17 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• . I thought the last I heard is that this reform was going to cost in the neighborhood of $900 billion dollars

CBO says over a trillion.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:32 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I'm sure the 2% is the INITIAL enrollee figure--NOT the figure that will be once all is said and done as employers opt to pay the 8% penalty in favor of subsidizing (and saving) 72% of an employees health care coverage! Then just watch those number skyrocket!!!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:37 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• If you read the article, it basically says the only people likely to opt for the public option would be those with serious health problems, which would drive up the cost of the public option. Since the public option isn't free to the participants, the healthy will buy their insurance elsewhere.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:25 PM on Nov. 1, 2009