Anyone have any ideas how to get black hair color out besides stripping?

I dyed my hair black for Halloween last year, yeah I know stupid. Well, over the past year I have tried to get it out which hasn't worked to well. I don't have the money to have someone color correct it so I have to do it at home. I have tried going to Sally's and getting their color stripper and quite a bit comes out but then my hair is umpteen different colors. So then I try to put some light brown dye back into my hair and my hair goes dark again. I am trying to let it grow out, but then I have a job interview and so I dye it dark brown to cover up the roots. I haven't seen my actual hair color in a year and I am so sick of this dark hair. I want to be able to fix it without destroying my hair anymore than it is and I am getting close to shaving it all off and starting over again. LOL. Please help if you can. Thanks.

nicholewalters

Asked by nicholewalters at 5:46 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Go to your hairdressers - explain your situation.
    See if you can work out a weekly/monthly paying system to get it fixed. (Really though, it wouldn't cost you more than $100)
    Anonymous

• hi, i am a hairstylist and also had my own hair black for a lil while and the only way u can get it to go lighter without wasting a ton of $$$ is to go to sallys and buy a cream bleach and section ur hair into 4 sections and have soneone put it on for u ,using a brush and a bowl.........and just cheach every 15-20 minutes and when it starts to look like its getting lighter just wash it off,it might take anywhere from 20-30 minutes for the bleach to show its effect so plz be patience you'll get what u r looking for also when done buy a nice box color of ur choice and put it on.hope it helps hon
    jennycarrillo25

Answer by jennycarrillo25 at 4:56 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I think that it is best to see a professional. It does cost a lot to get the color stripped, maybe around $110. When i colored my hair black and then decided that i didnt like it anymore i wanted to get my hair stripped but i didnt have the money and the hair stylist told me that my hair would really get damaged if i did that anyhow. SO instead she suggested giving me really light thin all over highlights and i really liked it. And she suggested to keep going back for more all over highlights until the black was gone. It is a long process as in might take a few months but in the end your hair will not be as damaged. And every highlight will be around $80 or depending on how long your hair is.
    YoursTrulySteph

Answer by YoursTrulySteph at 4:11 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• lemon is a natural bleaching agent. and it smells yummy too. but i've never tried it before. i'd guess you have to dunk your head and saturate your hair with lemon juice and leave it in for a while...
    siren_sexy

Answer by siren_sexy at 1:10 PM on Dec. 5, 2009