Young men on mission ( mormons)

My husbands cousin has just left for his mission trip to chilie(sp?) right now he is in Provo Utah for some class. LOL Im wonder what would be good things to put in a care package for him ?
He is going to be gone for 2 years,
I just want some good ideas of what to send him to make the distance a little more bareable.
We are a very close family so everyone is trying to do their part.
Thanks for any tips. I am just not to sure I was raised catholic and married in the mormon family.
Thanks again for any advice :)

Mrs.Owen86

Asked by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:02 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Cookies are always something they enjoy, and fairly easy to ship. Also this is weird, but socks. They walk so much they wear out their socks quickly. Also you can check out these sites and get some ideas: http://www.missionarycarepackageideas.com/ and http://www.called2serve.com/
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 7:13 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• New scriptures. Pictures of the family. Money is always good it costs so much to go on a mission and when members do not feed them they buy thier own food. SOkcs. Chili? Snadels. Tyr an dfind a book that traslates from english to spanish since chilians peak spanish. THis will be a great help. Good luck to him and you.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 6:11 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Thanks for the ideas :)
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:12 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Also, you might want to put together 30 days of "letters" he can open one each day to make him feel close to home. Maybe family members can alternate each month to do this. You can put stories like "remember when this happened"(of course you'd have to ask hubby for some stories), or tell him a funny joke, or a "saying of the day"(funny or serious or both) or when he opens another envelope it's a photo of him at age 10 with a friend or relative or whatever...know what i mean? So he has something to look forward to each morning/night that makes him smile.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 7:04 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I loved getting pictures and cookies or other treats.

I loved getting tapes from my dad that detailed things going on in his life, always made me feel closer to home.

Anything that might help him feel closer to home even tho he's far away. Like leaves in the fall if you are from a place that has awesome leaf color changes,etc.

Those things always meant more to me and I know the missionaries around me felt the same too.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:31 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Pictures....that dictionary is not a bad idea...Hide This Spanish Book- it will tell him what not to say in Chile. Some countries use one word and it has a totally different connotation. Don't want him saying bicho in PR :-)
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 8:20 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Oh another thing I loved getting(my dad did this) was holiday themed goodies.
    Like when Valentines day came he'd send a box full of stuff like gigantic chocolate lips and other holiday related candies LOL. Or for Easter he would send a bag of jelly beans, bag of bunny shaped marshmellows,etc.
    That was always fun cuz you miss doing major holidays like that.

Ask if there is any music they want cuz you can have music just certain kinds only.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• soccerchik8287

Thank you for the links
    Thank you to all the people who answered :)
    Anonymous

• Ugh I dotn know why that was anon LOL
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:59 PM on Nov. 2, 2009