Can I have anyone's opinion on time outs for children with autism, do they work?

My daughter is almost 6 years old and time outs don't work at all! I was wondering if there was a discipline that works for you that I could try.

Carkar69

Asked by Carkar69 at 6:53 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• discipline in general doesn't really work well for children with ASD. lol

Have you tried using a hollahoop? (sp?) ...that way you don't have to move her or anything. You just grab the hoop and put it around her where ever she is. And she can stay right there until she's calmed down.
    Where is she on the spectrum? She must be at a higher functioning level if you are using time out as a discipline. Have you tried using pictures to cut down on tantrums? Will she make choices if you give her options?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:59 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• We used "First, Then" with my autistic son (ie "first we're going to the store, then you can play with your blocks" Discipline for things he had already done didn't work really well, so I try to head off any problems I see occurring. The other thing that helped when he was young - a red/green "choice" board. There were squares that are red on one side, green on the other; they are velcroed to a board green side up. At the end of all of the squares is a "reward" (favorite video, toy, or snack) (use enough squares that there is a good chance of success in the beginning, at least). Each time he made a "red choice" one square got flipped. As long as there was at least one green square at the end of the allotted time he got his reward. The times were short at first, and then lengthened into an all day chart where he had 20 choices and got jellybeans right before he brushed his teeth at night. Yes, it's a pain to keepup with

Answer by missanc at 8:32 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• His "Green choices" - we went over these at least once a day:
    Finish work (this one was for school)
    Speak quietly
    Hands to self
    Feet to self
    Mouth to self

We didn't make it a big deal when he made a red choice, we would just make sure he saw us flip one.
    Anyway - it's just a visual discipline system and since kids with autism tend to be very visual, it works well. The system was actually suggested to us by someone at Division TEACCH from UNC-Chapel Hill which handles the autism classes in our school system.

Answer by missanc at 8:35 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I am in the same place so I don't have an answer for you OP, but I will be trying the suggestions posted, You ladies are awesome!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Nov. 3, 2009