Is it ok to still have my steak red while im pregnant?

Me and my bf got into a big fight about this. I like my steak rare and he keeps thinking its not good for the baby. I keep telling him its fine everyonce in awhile. We only have steak once ever few months anyway and he will fight me on it. I want my rare steak and i think i should be able to get it once in awhile. Help me.

PoisonIvy1369

Asked by PoisonIvy1369 at 6:55 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I ate mine rare while pregnant. In fact, I did not change my diet at all. You can eat rare meat because if it's cooked on the outside, the bacteria there is killed, and the inside is protected from the outside surface area.

You should probably ask your dr if this is ok though.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:06 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• the reason they say to make sure meat is thoroughly cooked is to insure that it has reached the appropriate temperature to kill off most of the bacteria and disease that could be festering in it

same with having fish raw

ur bf is right, waiting until after pregnancy is best
    Anonymous

• As far as I know it's not safe. From everything my doctor told me and all that I read, meat is only for sure safe if it's cooked all the way through. Maybe you should ask your doctor though.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 7:15 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Ive been told its unsafe becuase of bacteria or ecoli or something that could harm the baby i dont remember exactly what it is so dont quote the disease.. Talk to your doctor. i would not do it.
    mommyajay

Answer by mommyajay at 7:25 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• If the internal temp is i believe 160 your fine but yeah you might not want it to still be mooing. I'm the same way about steak i know it sucks but only a couple months and you can eat it raw if you would like lol good luck babe
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 7:34 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• ok they say its bc the bacteria, yes. now lets move on lol......i ate it still pink inside and never had a problem. do you know they even make a note on menus if you eat meat "undercooked" it could make you ill, and thats for everyone! i say stick with the obvious. pork, duh no, chicken, no, fish, it could make you sick even not preggo. steak, how many times has someone gotten sick from a pink steak???
    if you really want to, ask your dr, but like i said i never had a problem.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 7:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Eat it rare. I'm eating rare meat, raw fish, deli meats, etc. E coli is more likely to come from bad hand-washing than from food. Yes, fecal-oral contamination. if you're worried about e coli, grill your steak at home with your clean hands.

If the outside is charred, the bacteria are dead.

Food born illness is the product of bad hygiene and low-quality suppliers.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:02 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I ate medium or medium rare steaks when I was pregnant and both my daughter and I are here to tell the tale. Nobody I know has EVER been sick from a steak.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:31 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Yeah, I actually craved RAW steak with my son- I heated it up in the microwave. My doctor told me as long as it gets hot you should be ok. Especially with cow.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:08 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• A rare steak should be fine. It is things like ground beef that is a bigger issue. Because the meat is ground together you really should cook it to no pink to ensure all the bacteria is killed all the way through. But a steak is not ground together so it is much less likely there is bacteria inside a steak so cooking the outside should ensure if there was any bacaria it was killed. Of course I am no expert so you can always check with your doctor.

Winter711

Answer by Winter711 at 10:11 PM on Nov. 1, 2009