fluid retention

how do u know if u have fluid retention during pregnancy?
i am 33 weeks currently and have been going in to see my doctor every month for check ups. during each visit i had gained 5.5pounds (2.5kg) but when i went in on friday i had gained 11pounds (5kg) whoch is double the weight gain i've had in the last few months.
i have been watching what i eat and when i put on clothes and look at my figure i don't feel as though i have put on thaaaaat much weight.....could it be a result of water retention.....how do u know if its water retention?

fay101

Asked by fay101 at 7:10 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Fluid retention is part of life. Don't worry about it. Your body is making a ton of blood and baby. Here's how to make sure your fluid levels are healthiest for the baby.

1. Get walking. Yes! 20 minutes or more a day you need to walk. On your lunch break, chase yoru kid around, chase your DH around, go with the dog. You MUST walk.
    2. Drink GOOD fluids. Coffee and tea, even the decaf ones do you no favors. NO SODA. Drink juices and water. Herbal teas like raspberry leaf are good for your uterus. I mix 2 oz of juice with 10 oz of water. Drink constantly.
    3. Get good salts. Potassium is important too! I have 8 oz of coconut water every day to replace what I lose. You can also try Emergen-C vitamin drink mixes.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:58 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• hmmm... i really don't know much about it but i did read in a pregnancy book that fluid retention can be a normal part of pregnancy, that they used to think it was bad and tell you to eat no salt but now that no eating no salt can be very bad for you so they say to salt to taste (with sea salt being preferable to NaCl). sorry i can't be more helpful
    Anonymous