different types of church?

As a kid, my mom never took us to church, she beleived in god and everything, but she beleived you dont have to go to church to worship him. But I want to start going, and Im not really sure what I am. I mean, what type of church to go to. How are they different? This probaly sounds stupid, lol, but I dont have my mom around anymore. But if you could help me, I would really love it! Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• While you're here online, do a bit of research! Google "religious denominations" and read a bit until you find one that seems to match your beliefs the most. Then look up the churches of that denomination in your area.

Ask your friends where they go and go with them one week. Or you could even just pick a new church a week and do it by trial and error.

And most pastors will be glad to talk to you and explain anything you need to know.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 7:26 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• there's a quiz on beliefnet.com Try it out and it should match you to the denomination that is closest to your personal beleifs
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:29 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• There are a lot of nondenominational churches out there. that's what I would try. I would also try a new church every Sunday until you find one you really like. Also, pastors at certain churches will take time to sit and talk with you about what you are looking for, what your beliefs are etc... and if their church is the one for you. All you have to do is ask!
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 7:36 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Take the quiz Kristi mentioned. It will match you up to the denominations that most closely match your personal beliefs

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:57 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• My mom did the same thing. I never went until I was a teen. Even knowing which denomination you most align with is just a start. You really have to try different churches to find a worship style you are comfortable with. Good luck.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:58 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Oh come on you should know it is not about religion, but a personal relationship with God. Sweetie you talk to God and he will guide, how will you know? It will be that still small voice in side of you which will led you. God is not about religion he is about you and his love for you. If you feel like you are not sure you hear from him try different churches, you will know when you find the right one. How will you know, because you will feel peace and love like you never have before and that is where God is. Follow Him follow the heart you have for him and not anything man has to offer.

Peace, <><
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 10:08 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• They are WAY different. I was raised SDA and they teach the bible differently then the majority of christians do. There are also Catholics who have a different belief system and the JW's and Mormons. World Mission Society Church of God is also VERY different in their teachings and then there are the Amish. But really just do your research and pray to God for him to guide you :) God bless
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 11:48 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• You need to read the Bible for yourself. You need to decide what it is that you believe. Do some research in some of the more common religions. See what they teach. Pray that God will guide you. Listen to what He tells you. They are all quite different. The state of the dead, the second coming, how we worship, heck...even down to whether or not Christ has actually come yet. So be sure you know what YOU believe, and pray for His guidance as you read.
    MamaCass07

Answer by MamaCass07 at 12:35 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• And to the ladies with the quiz...

I must say, they did do a lot of research into religions is making this quiz...but do we really want to base our possible salvation and relationship with our creator on a quiz made by man? Would it not be better to point in the direction of the Gospel?

I hope that didn't come across as rude. I know typing can take on a completely different tone to the reader. This wasn't my intention.
    MamaCass07

Answer by MamaCass07 at 12:45 AM on Nov. 2, 2009