any tips for heating up baby cereal..

I was wondering if anyone knew how to heat baby cereal on the stove. I prefer cooking on the stove vs. microwave we just got baby cereal for our 5mnth old and i justreally would prefer to cook it on the stove.

KaeliM

Asked by KaeliM at 7:17 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Food & Drink

• you may be able to heat it how you want it by warming the milk/water that you use to make it. so then heat milk how you would normally. so with that being said you could heat the liquid on the stove as well.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 7:26 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Follow the directions on the box. Mix with baked sweet potatoes, canned pumpkin, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:27 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I never cooked the cereal, I always warmed the fruit puree in the mic for about 20 seconds and then added it to the cereal. If you get it too hot you could burn your babies mouth. I also never put milk in the cereal. They nursed so I felt they got the milk they needed from me. Water seemed too bland. Maybe I'm wrong to some on how I fed them, but we have 3 very healthy boys...
    Anonymous

• IMO it'd be really hard to cook the cereal on the stove, as a baby doesn't eat that much at once and once it's mixed it doesn't keep well. I'd warm the liquid you're mixing it with in a pan of hot water and then mix it in a bowl...or if you have a small metal or glass bowl you could use it double-boiler style over a pan of hot water. If you plan to mix it with breastmilk, you can express your milk straight into the bowl of cereal or pump & pour, and it'll be warm enough. None of my babies ate their cereal very warm at all, about the same temp as breastmilk.
    Anonymous