short attention span on a 5 year old girl?

my daughter turned 5 years old in Aug. she has the shortest attention span in the world. it drives me up the wall. she goes into these moments where she is in a diff world. we where trick or treating at the mall and everyone was in line. she just dozes off and doesnt pay attention where she is going and starts to stare in the sky and it takes more then 30 seconds to wake her up from whatever she is looking at or thinking of. is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It could be a number of things....from a very mild seizure (can be as simple as a staring spell all the way up to what you think of when you think of a seizure), to Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), to narcolepsy (falls asleep without warning), to just plain tiredness or anything in between.  

If this is something that occurs regularly, I would call your pediatrician and ask for a referral to a neurologist.  He/she will be able to properly diagnose your daughter.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:31 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• i dont like the kids pedi. well shes not even a pedi. she is a family pract. and i dont like those. i dont see how its a siezure, she isnt moving. she has her yes wide open and she was very active and hyper yesterday. well more like every single second she is awake lol. she just dazes off alot and doesnt pay attention
    Anonymous

• Sounds like my 5 yr old LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I have an nurse in my family, and I know that it IS possible for a child to have a seizure without having a fit we would recognize as "seizing". If there is no evident object or person distracting her, if she really is spacing off at nothing, I'd still take her to the doctor. I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'm a nanny, and I pay close attention to the children I care for. If they ever had bouts like that, the parent would know straightaway. The child's wellbeing is too important to shrug it off as nothing.
    Callien

Answer by Callien at 9:37 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• She is still young...I think that people are too quick to label kids, just understand that she is young. My daughter will sometimes do that too, but I dont think she has ADD or anything like that...as long as she is still developing "normally" as far as can say the alphabet, numbers, colors, shapes etc I think she is fine. Now if it continues and her education and health is getting affected then I would worry and take it up with a actual pediatrician.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 10:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Op here- MaiasMommy619, your right. she is in kindergarten doing great and she knows her colors, shapes, numbers and alphabets. shes just like her dad and spaces out but he says he has add for sure because he can only focus on one thing at a time. Like if he is playing a game online he cant talk to me at the same time or talk on the phone. He cant drive and talk etc.
    Anonymous

• Answered at 7:33 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 by: Anonymous
    i dont like the kids pedi. well shes not even a pedi. she is a family pract. and i dont like those. i dont see how its a siezure, she isnt moving. she has her yes wide open and she was very active and hyper yesterday. well more like every single second she is awake lol. she just dazes off alot and doesnt pay attention
    -------------------------------------------------

Just curious but why don't you change peds?

Staring seizures have no movement...nuerological disorders effect different things...that one just happens to put you in a trance.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:54 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• i dont liker her because she doesnt have the same ideas as i do. she is all into counseling and vaccines and im not. She asked me why i dont vaccinate my kids nicely and i told her back nicely why and she got offended and cut me off right in the middle of me talking andtold me i dont have time to argue with you okay. i was like what the hell! i said are you to kick me out of your practice because we dont agree on the same things and she said no but maybe you should find someone else who likes what you want. shes stupid and i dont like her. we are a natural family who dont vacinate, i dont like medication in my house for any reason.
    Anonymous

• Um... sounds like I would change doctors until you find one that is more in sync with your beliefs. Sounds like that is exactly what the doctor you're seeing suggested to you as well LOL.

5 year olds on the whole don't really have a whole lot of attention span, and in some situations we really shouldn't require them to! The world is still new and there's so much to see!

I would be a bit more worried about the spacing out thing IF it takes you a while to get her out of it. My son does that too, EXCEPT he will be looking me in the face when he does it but his eyes will not focus on me. Hard to explain in words. It was recognized by my best friend as a type of seizure (she works with Autism spectrum kids) but something he will probably outgrow. If you're uncomfortable with it, have it checked out. Can you get a referral from any friends who share your beliefs?
    crittermomma

Answer by crittermomma at 11:56 AM on Nov. 3, 2009