Newborn with a possible cold??

My lil guy is now 2weeks & 3days old & I think he has a cold! Yesterday he was sneezing all day, just here & there but all day none the less. I was concerned, but there was no fever or runny nose or anything...he seemed perfectly fine other than the sneezing (after awhile I figured it was dust in the air from cleaning out the closet to move stuff to storage). Well today, there is clear snot shooting from his nose with every sneeze. He still doesn't have a fever, is eating fine, etc etc...but he's also sleeping a lot better (which normally I wouldn't complain about, but mixed with the sneezing & snot kinda concerns me). Does this sound like a cold, or is this just something newborn-related?? If it is a cold, are there home remedies or something I can do to help (I am already breastfeeding)?? He sees his doctor tomorrow, but I want to make him feel better tonight if he does have a cold...

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 7:40 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sounds like allergies to me actually. maybe the weather change, has it been at all windy or breezy in your area??
    or it could be a cold... try sitting in the bathroom with the door shut and putting your shower on as hot as it will get and putting tea tree oil in the shower water with the plug down so the tea tree oil doesnt go down the drain... do that for like 10-15 min a few times a day it will relax them as well and will help the mucusy snot

other than that i dont know of anything to relieve a cold :( if you are constantly wiping the snot though, i would use something really soft so he doesnt get a chapped nostril. good luck
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:42 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• i agree with pp.....when ds was 2 weeks i took him to dr bc i thought he had a cold. turned out, he was allergic to the wood heat we used at the house. could be the heater is stirring up dust as well. or just him getting used to the heater period. gl mamma!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 7:46 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Sit with ds in your arms in a chair outside the shower while a warm shower is running. Very important that you DO NOT leave baby in a baby chair or stroller alone in the bathroom. Stay with him and hold him more upright so any congestion doesn't stay in baby's lungs. Ask your ped about a saline nose product - there's Ayr and also Na Sal.

Also try under baby's crib mattress where his gorgeous head rests, put a thick telephone book to help keep him more upright when he rests.

Hope the lil guy feels better soon. If you haven't done it yet try writing down your questions ahead of time so that what you're concerned about now can be addressed so you don't forget. And when you're with doctor ask your questions too that come to mind during the appointment. Dont feel you've take too much time.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 7:46 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• It has been breezy/windy - I didn't even think of that (even though I suppose I should have seeing as the weather does the same thing to me LOL). Thanks for the tip on the shower too! I'll have to go out & get some tea tree oil, even if just to have in case!
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 7:47 PM on Nov. 1, 2009